Cracking body fillers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

office888

Okay, here's the scoop. I shave the side trim on my Honda CRX and had to fix a couple rust holes.

IT KEEPS CRACKING!!!

The car has not moved yet, it still has an engine swap going on. I've heard that if you build up too much body filler at one time, it cracks. I learned my lesson and now only apply in thin layers.

How do I fix the cracks now? Do I just grind a 1/2" trench down the cracks down to the metal and slowly build up layers of body filler? Would that work?

filler should be no more than 1/16 maybe 1/8 thick work the metal to a flat then use the bond to fill the minor dents. If you filler is 1/2 tick then its an issue you need to adress. For blening panel you kitty hair it can be used in thick coats, and will not crack. It is choped up fiberglass mixed with filler.
Also if the metal is not preped properly filler will crack and fall off

i agree with hcivic.com on the 1/8 of an inch and about the kittyhair stiff that shit is tough

boosted rex said:
take it to a body shop to get it done right the first time.

I'll get right on that. Can I borrow $500 and never repay you?

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll try the Fiber-bondo on the side trim pieces then finalize with a coat of body filler.

Would regular mineral spirits and a swab of aircraft thinner work for metal prep to promote adhesion?

office888 said:
I'll get right on that. Can I borrow $500 and never repay you?

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll try the Fiber-bondo on the side trim pieces then finalize with a coat of body filler.

Would regular mineral spirits and a swab of aircraft thinner work for metal prep to promote adhesion?

I could probably swing 700 to help you out.

boosted rex said:
I could probably swing 700 to help you out.

Stay the fuck out of these topics if your going to be a wanna be internet thug.
Piss off and don't waste my time with your oral fucking diarrhea, you piece of scat

Back