Craigslist addict needs accurate swap advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ouch. Take those to the scrap yard at least you can get something for them ;) Or do you keep them because they are like trophies:cool:

Ok im gonna go with the D16Z6 i believe. Ive got a few days to find or trade for one while i redo the rest of the engine bay. Question. I haven't really even looked at the wiring schematics yet. Will i need to convert to MPFI OBD-0 then convert to OBD-1 or can i do one conversion from DPFI > MPFI OBD 1? Actually i have several questions like that so ill just go browse the swap articles. Off the top of your head do you know if there is an article on making the conversion harness? Id rather make it myself for a few bucks than buy it for 80. Im AcDelco certified in Auto Electronics so im not worried about constructing the thing if there is a guide.

Last edited:
Well my utilities Bill arrived today. More than I expected, gotta put off buying an engine till next week now:mad:

I was doing some more research, specifically on the B20 thats in first gen CRVs. I know its not technically a B series, in that the internals are NOT interchangeable, but according to the Wiki its got the same external dimensions as the B18a1.

Does this mean i could use a first gen CRV auto tranny with my b18a1? Any reasons this won't work (besides the fact that you think its gay to put an auto in there;))

Yeah i was going to do the B18, i just wasnt sure if the CRV tranny would mate up to it. Just got back from pull a part. They had an integra with an auto tranny. The tranny was lined up and down with vaccuum ports. Looked scary. The only engines they had were D15b2s and D15b7s, and on top of that, all of them had already had the head taken. Why would people want those heads? On the plus side i did genuine woodgrain trim for my KA7 for $11 so not a total loss.

So I picked up a D15B7 from another source, for $125. Its straight from the machine shop with new bearings and i can't beat that price.

Question: I can pick up a DC stainless header for a D16y8 for 50.. will it bolt on to the D15B7?

Last edited:
If you plan on eventually swapping a B-series engine then why waste any time or money at all on an "in-between" engine? Do you need this car as a daily driver? If not, then just focus on getting the engine you want in there rather then wasting time and money on a temporary solution.

As for your question, I would recommend against the CR-V transmission because it's meant for an all-wheel-drive setup. You might be able to find a FWD one, but there's really no point because the 90-93 Integra auto transmission is essentially a bolt-in with the proper mounts. If you use any other B-series auto you'll need to do a cable-to-hydro conversion, so just stick with the 90-93 Integra slush-box. If you want to use that B20 engine from the CR-V the Integra transmission should bolt up to it...

If you plan on eventually swapping a B-series engine then why waste any time or money at all on an "in-between" engine? Do you need this car as a daily driver? If not, then just focus on getting the engine you want in there rather then wasting time and money on a temporary solution.

Well because now that i see what other parts I will need to swap to a B-series, Id rather just save my parts till i get a shell that i like better. Im very experienced in Acura 3.2 to 3.5 swaps and Ford MAP to MAF / non HO to Windsor conversions. I like to start with a really cheap project that i don't mind messing with to learn, then build a better one when i have the knowledge.

Thanks for the answer to the CRV question and the explanation for it.

Heres my last question, at least for a few days;) Is there anything to be gained by swapping a D16z6 head onto the D15b7? I realize id have to wire the vtech up, but would i be sacrificing low end power by dropping the compression since its a 1.6l head?

Well because now that i see what other parts I will need to swap to a B-series, Id rather just save my parts till i get a shell that i like better. Im very experienced in Acura 3.2 to 3.5 swaps and Ford MAP to MAF / non HO to Windsor conversions. I like to start with a really cheap project that i don't mind messing with to learn, then build a better one when i have the knowledge.

Thanks for the answer to the CRV question and the explanation for it.

Heres my last question, at least for a few days;) Is there anything to be gained by swapping a D16z6 head onto the D15b7? I realize id have to wire the vtech up, but would i be sacrificing low end power by dropping the compression since its a 1.6l head?

No, the Z6 head on the D15 block would be a fine combination. Run a search on "Mini Me" for more information...

Thanks friends. Ill be going with the D15b7/ minime conversion then. Ill keep ya updated on how it goes.

Also id like to make sure to give rep to everyone who has taken the time to answer some of my questions. Can ya give me a quick lesson on how to do so?

To give rep, you click on that little thing that looks like a silver scale. A window will pop up asking if you approve or disapprove of the person's comments, and then you can leave a comment for them too...

Your compression won't drop with that head. Insted it should jump from 9.2:1 to 10.10:1 with a d15/z6 combo.

Ok Merry Fellows, my deals on motors fell through. On the plus side I went to pull a part today and they had a 92 automatic integra. It was already kind of late when I got there so I didnt get a chance to pull everything I wanted. The Distributor and the Rear suspension were gone already, and so was the drivers axle.

I got:
Auto Tranny/ brackets to engine from tranny
Passenger Axle
Engine wiring harness
ECU
ECU plug + roughly 3 feet of wire.
Total Cost:: 101.38. Nice.

Questions.
What did I forget to get?
Im assuming i need to go back and get that automatic flexplate? or will my D series work?
There was a little computer behind the passenger kick panel. Assuming thats climate and fan control and I don't need it?
Brackets. A/C P/S ALT should i grab them?
Map sensor, group of vacuum solenoids on the firewall should I grab them?
Intake, I have one but I have two motors so Ill grab this.

At those prices im willing to grab stuff just to have a back up. Can you guys tell me what else I should strip away from this car?

From what I have found the Tegs use a 2nd computer for the tranny. So you would need the TCU and plugs also.

You are correct sir. Gotta go back and get the TCM now. Now i am considering a rywire harness because im having almost zero luck finding info on wiring up the automatic. Even the wiring diagrams i find of the ecus are a little suspect.

Heres the real question Ive got now.

Are 92 and 93 Integras OBD0 or OBD1? The ECU is a PR4 for 90 - 93.

Last edited:
90-91 OBD0 92-93 OBD1
Yes the pr4 was used from 90-93, but it came in OBD0 and OBD1.

Well I got my B series mounts. Now just the ECU stuff. So far what I have done is take apart the stock 91 LX computer and desoldiered the OBD0 harness connection from the circuit board.

Next Ill solder wires to each pin on the OBD0 female internal connector, /then run them to the corrosponding wires on the OBD1 male harness.

So connection looks like 92 OBD1 ECU -> OBD1 harness -> OBD0 adaptor made from old computer -> Original OBD0 harness in car.

See any problems/ reasons why this wouldnt work? Obviously Id like to just find a 90 Auto teg ECU but i am having trouble doing so, so ill just work on this and hopefully one will pop up.

Theres one what sitting in your closet? A 90-91 Teg auto ECU??! Sell me that sucker if ya don't need it!

Back