Craigslist is hiring....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well, go vomit in the corner, and if you arent going to clean it up, at least put some newspaper on it, i'll be damned if i get some on my wingtips.

I can't possibly fathom CL having 1000s of machines.
They don't keep anything over 30 days.
the site is extremely lightweight.
I can see 5 or 10 to load balance, but 1000s?

and wtf do they use C++ for?

ruhtard question but how do they generate income?
corporate listings?

its only certian cats, like vehicles and housing

I can't possibly fathom CL having 1000s of machines.
They don't keep anything over 30 days.
the site is extremely lightweight.
I can see 5 or 10 to load balance, but 1000s?

and wtf do they use C++ for?
They have a lot of data, might be using something like cassandra or hadoop for big data in many locations.

Backend might be written in C++. Our cert backend is still in C even though our presentation layer is Java/JSF.

a lot of data? i don't think it's THAT much. its plain text. the average ad is 2 sentences long. probably not eve 1 kb per entry.
even if you get 10,000 ads a day, that's nothing. Gotta figure each table is regionalized and normalized out for dealer vs private.
i'm probably not seeing most of what goes on behind the scenes, but i just can't fathom 1000s of servers. Like, realistically, i could do it with 3. lol 6 for redundancy.

a lot of data? i don't think it's THAT much. its plain text. the average ad is 2 sentences long. probably not eve 1 kb per entry.
even if you get 10,000 ads a day, that's nothing. Gotta figure each table is regionalized and normalized out for dealer vs private.
i'm probably not seeing most of what goes on behind the scenes, but i just can't fathom 1000s of servers. Like, realistically, i could do it with 3. lol 6 for redundancy.
You do realize there are many craigslists right? lol. There are supposedly 700 in 70 countries. They also get 50 billion page views a month.

They also allow photos to be uploaded, so not 100% text.

Craigslist is a big operation, I could see having to need hundred of servers. Maybe 1000 is overkill but definitely more than 6. With the amount of listings with photos around the world. That can eat up some space.

images

craigslist | about > help > posting fees
1. Job postings in the San Francisco Bay Area

• The fee for posting a job in the SF Bay Area is $75. This fee pays for one job in one category.
    (One job posted in two different categories would cost $150.)
2. Job postings in the following cities:
Atlanta Kansas City Portland Austin Las Vegas Sacramento Boston Los Angeles St. Louis Chicago Minneapolis San Antonio Dallas New York San Diego Denver Orange County Seattle Detroit Orlando South Florida Houston Philadelphia Tampa Inland Empire Phoenix Washington DC
  • The fee for posting a job in these cities is $25. This fee pays for one job in one category.
    (One job posted in two different categories would cost $50.)
3. Brokered apartment rental listings in New York City

• The fee for posting a brokered apartment rental in New York City is $10.
4. Therapeutic services postings in the United States

• The fee for posting ads in these categories is $10. Live approved ads can be re-posted for $5.

Back