Crank Angle Sensor!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
Well i was driving one day and my car started to hit rev limiter at about 3200k rpm...so i turned it off...read the code...4 blinks...crank angle...so i disconnected the battery...drove for a while and it turned on again in the middle of driving...now mistake me if i'm wrong but a code like that should come up right when you start your car right? i was running an ls ecu just to get around cuz my b16 ecu is broken...it ran fine with the ls until that day...so i switched it out and borrowed a friend's b16 ecu...and my car still read crank angle again...so i disconnected the battery and it ran fine until i mashed on the throttle...it came up again...so since then i drove the car for the day barely touching 3k rpm so rev limiter doesn't hit and it stopped reading crank angle...so today my friend ask for the b16 ecu back and i put the ls back in my car...now here's the weird part...it's starting to read crank angle again with the ls ecu but i can take it past 3k...i took it to 4 but stopped there cuz i didn't want rev limit to hit again...anyone have an idea where my problem is cuz i have a feeling it's going to come back...some say my dizzy is going bad already but it's only 2 months old...by the way the car is an 89 4 door civic with a b16 in it...the b16 ecu is a pr3 and the ls was a pr4 i beleive...any ideas??? ask me any more questions if you are confused so it's easier for you to help me cuz i'm stuck...thanks

you may have a crack in your crank pulley, the sesor it self may be defective, may be a ground problem?, how old is the engine?

it's an Sir2 motor...i changed the dizzy to obd-0 as well as the ecu so i could run it in my car...i'm guessing the motor is anywhere from 7-11 years old. the sensor is in the distributor so you think i should get another one cuz the one i have is about 2 months old...i don't believe i have a crack in the pulley but i'll check...and i'm gonna look at all the grounds...when my friend did my wiring he didn't use that black heat comb stuff...he just wrapped it heavily in electrical tape...you think if i wrapped up the wires in that stuff it would help my problem??? thanks

bump...i also checked my distributor cap...it has little hair line cracks coming from the middle coil and little cracks coming from where the rotor hits each little tip...my friend says i "arched" my cap...anyone know if this could be a reason to throw the crank angle and what would cause it to arch?? thanks

Back