crank bearing spun!!! CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

;) Ok I was doing the DX 1.5 DPI to SI 1.6 MPI swap on my CRX and I figured I would just put in a stock 1.6 engine first before I upgrade to something bigger. Well I bought this engine from a guy and dropped it in. Got it running only to find it had a knock!!!!

Anyways I traced it to the number one cyclinder, pulled the pan bearing cap and found the bearing was spun.

So now I am wondering how much this guy beat the crap out of this engine to get it to spin a bearing??? AND HOW LONG IT WAS DRIVEN WITH THE SPUN BEARING. The crank is worn but still within specs. I have seen alot of Hondas, but never a spun bearing.

SO WHAT TO DO NEXT??/ :blink:
1. Can I just get by with replacing all of the bearings?? I mean I gotta buy a whole set anyways, might as well change them all. Pulling the crank and having it reconditioned would be about as costly as finding another engine.

2. Should I replace the oil pump??? Would a spun bearing draw cause to replace the oil pump??

3. Should I just look for a new engine since this one probably has already had the crap beat out of it???

Any info or advice would be appreciated!!!
I just install em' I don't usually have to rebuild em'!

Well you don't have to buy a full set of bearings. You can just buy the two or however many you need. You just need to figure out the color code of the bearings. It would probably be a lot easier to just buy a new motor since you have to remove the crank just to replace the bearing that you spun.

Have you checked to make sure the crank journal is not out of round?

Because of the spun bearing and you said it was knocking.... you may want to check and make sure that cylinder is not out of round. Are the walls scarred up at all?

I spun a bearing on my d16y8, and I beat the piss out of that engine B)

And why would you change just one bearing set. If you have the crank out already spend the 50 bucks and replace all the bearings.

crank is not out of round, and the cylinder walls are not bad, however the connecting rod and bearing cap are worn to the point where a new bearing would still be very sloppy. I would have to rip the head off and pull out the piston and have the connecting rod reconditioned by a shop or buy a new one. Either way its a waste of money on this engine.

New rod would be $20-30
main bearings $50
rod bearing $50
head gasket $30
shop time for crank $40
my time to do all this "priceless" :blink:

I think its time to look for a new engine!!!!!!
OR I am thinking of putting my SI head on the DX block, but I don't know how much HP I will lose. I know it is 100cc but will I even notice??

ANYONE HAVE A 1.6 OR KNOW OF ONE NEAR WISCONSIN!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies!!! :D

"4. kick his ass" is a strong possibility when I find him.

I think it would be more simpler to find another engine, they go for like $2-$300 which is cheaper than trying to fix the old D16

find a a6 block like i did, put a z6 head on it, completly rebuild it with all new gaskets n bearings, costed me all together like 300 for the parts, wire it up and you have more pep and a new motor. alot of pep for my hf ;)

Back