Crank but won't start....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raggedyhonda

Please help, this car won't start now, but was running previously. This is on a 99 Civic LX, 180K+ miles. Changed timing belt and then reinstalled everything. Had some of the spark plug wires wrong, but still ran, got them on right now. It bogged/skipped a tad when depressing the accelerator, but once up in the the RPM's it would run fine. We drove this car from GA, to Washington DC, no problems (minus slight bogg under light gas pedal). It also appeared to just be a problem (skipping/bogging) just when the motor was cold.

Fast forward about a week or two, my wife is leaving work and calls me to say the car cut off and won't start. I go to see what the deal is, smells like gas...pretty sure no spark. Can't diagnose much in a parking garage with almost NO tools/flashlight etc. Anyway, parts that have been changed (tired of throwing parts at it at this point) include:
  1. ICM
  2. Coil
  3. Plugs
  4. Wires
  5. Cap
  6. Rotor
Only thing I can think of that it might be now is the TDC/CKP/CYP sensor (crank angle sensor) inside the distributor. One other thing of interest is that there was that there was a slight amount of oil in the distributor, I ASSume the O-ring behind the distributor is messed up, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated as I am not a HONDA guy and haven't messed with these things much at all.

Thanks.

Brad

Last edited:
its probly a bad distrubtor if not check to make sure the timeing belt didnt break

Checked timing belt and it's fine (brand new) the old had 180+K miles on it (original), also checked and it has not skipped any teeth.

I have a "new" used distributor coming in the next few days. I also pulled a page (11-110) from the honda service manual to see if I can test it to see what the deal is with the TDC sensor, etc.

Thanks for the response

Brad

new "used" distributor fixed the problem, I think it was a bad set of wires that ened up burning the previous distributor up....at any rate it's fixed and running properly now.

Back