crank posistioning sensor look !

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

elpayaso201

okay i know im not in the right thread but can anyone shed some info on this! i just got a 96 prelude mt. 2.2 non vtec and it will not rev past 3000 rpms. now i check the codes and i have a bad cps but would that not let it rev past 3k!!! what else should i look at? it dose not miss start up ever time

please post up the actual code that you have

yes a code can cause the car to go into limp mode (not rev above 3000)

as for reasons... heres a few:

timing could be off... timing belt could have jumped
Cylinder position sensor (CYP) or the wiring to it could have gone bad
Crankshaft position sensor (CKP) or the wiring to it could have gone bad
distributor itself could have gone bad
the ECU could have gone bad

for starters though, please post up the actual code you are getting along with what you are reading it with

it is likely a bad sensor... but before shelling out $200ish you might want to trouble shoot it a little before hand

you said you just got this car, has it always ran this way since you got it?
have you recently done anything like timing belt / water pump / crank pulley / etc?
is the CKP plugged in? is the wiring damaged?

do you have a Helms manual? there should be a test procedure for the CKP in there letting you know the specific ohm readings and such

yeah i did s a lot of googling and checked the plug could not find how to test it! it had some oily grease on the plug cleaned still same. i got the car like this the guy who had it had it the same way just didnt even want to mess with it today i today i pulled it all apart one of the sensors had grease on the face of it s i figured it was getting a bad or no reading maybe it could not advance to time to run higher than 3000 rpms. well tomorrow i will get the part and hope fully it will fix it or else ill be out 200 buck! witch well suk and then more freaken searching to seee what it is

best of luck man

wow i have never been happier to here a car run and rev up this today! wait my ls swap eg was a good feeling to...lol . anyways today i received the part and everything turned out great car runs awesome now!!!

Back