CRANK pulley locking tool???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

OK, didn't know where exactly to post this one but,
Does anyone out there have that tool to lock the crank pulley when taking off the crank bolt that they aren't using anymore??
Sold the car, now they have it just sitting..?
Want to sell it?

Any "Venders" on here that sell them?

E

You can use an apporpriate sized nut and a pipe wrench to do the same thing. Or you can find them online. There are two sizes (I believe). I 'think' its pre 1991 for the samller size and post 1991 for the larger. My town had one place that as selling it and it was the older/smaller one so I jsut bought a bolt and used a pipe wrench (with a friend to hold it while I loosened the crank bolt.

Last edited:
you can get them from your local tool truck vendor. snap-on, mac, matco. go to any local auto shop and ask a mechanic there if he can give you the phone number for one of these guys...or if you see the truck onthe road, follow it and stop the driver-i've done that. i did hear from someone on here that autozone rents it but i have never had to look into that so i wouldnt know if thats true. if not youll have to shell out about 50 to 80 bucks for a new one from a tool truck vendor if you cant find a used one someone wants to sell

dude i would buy that tool on e-bay. i have never seen them so cheap but usually when i need a tool i need it NOW so i have to try the tool truck. now i am at the point where i have to still wait a couple days for the tool truck vendor to order it and get it. i have almost everything they regularly stock. get that tool if you can wait a few days to receive it

i believe the nut cost 3 bucks haha i just like having all the right tools so i dont have to be a creative all the time. i love being creative but it can be a headache sometimes. i have tools i dont ever use also but if i ever need em they'll be there LOL.

1/2" impact with over 80lbs didn't work. And no auto parts store rented one out....they acted stupid. I found one tool but it was for older Hondas and was too small. I needed my swap done when I was off work for Spring Break so time was an issue and buying one for $25 (give or take) wasn't an option with the shipping time and such.

I said "hell with it" and got a bolt that was a little tiny bit too big. I just sat on the table grinder for a minute and ground down all six sides until it fit in the crank hole like a glove. And I still have it!! I knwo ti will come in handy again....just need a nice sized pipe wrench or a Dumbie Wrench (AKA Cresent lmao) or a big ass open ended wrench that fits. Mine popped off in a matter of seconds when we got on it (two 200+ lb boys)

yeah i have a mac impact. it puts 625 foot pounds of power and does well. as to being creative, i pounded a timing belt pulley off a water pump for a 04 civic on day when i was bored...i always wondered about the bearings in them so i wanted to see for myself....anyway i kept the pulley because i thought it would be a cool paper weight. on night i was about to press a hub bearing out of a 01 focus and my H-press jack cracked...cheap ass harbor freight!! i should have known better. so i beat the bearing with a socket. the bearing broke and the race was stuck in the steering knuckle. anyway i was kinda stuck. that pulley i mentioned was the perfect size and had a good backside for pounding on. the bearing races inner ball edge cought the pulles back flange perfectly. i hit it with my 2-pound sledge and it came right out. i still have the pulley incase my new H-press fails again, i just hope the pulley can save my ass again

Ive always been able to get them off with an impact. Snap-on IM6100, shes a bad bitch.

i got mine from my local advance auto
i saw it this summer as a new tool offered in their catalog they give to shops
check there first

Found one from a local supplier. It's got a 1/2" breakerbar/wrachet(?) hole in it's tail.
I'm gonna weld a 3' pipe to that end for leverage..
Then I put a block atop a jack, got the extension level with the bolt and used a breaker bar.
I thought I broke something, but finally got it off..
Dang, I'm 6'-190# and was off the ground when it finally went..

Now I have to align up the marks and put it all back together.. Mmmmm fun.

Thanks guys n gals

E

Back