crank pulley ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was windering if a after market crank pulley off a b16 type r would fit on a d16 crank and would there be any balancing issues with it

No, it won't fit.

If it has a harmonic balancer, it'll be fine. If not, avoid. And it won't be worth the cost. I'm guessing that your only belt driven accessory is an alternator, right? Well, you won't feel a damn bit of difference with the pulley.

My opinion with the harmonic balancers is that they only come into play on big V8's that get a lot of vibration from the crank, I am not even sure if I would call the little rubber washer piece on the crank pulley a harmonic balancer. But keep the oem pulley on, shit even erick's racing uses the factory oem pulley with all three slots on it still on.

Milan

Sorry Milan, but your opinion is inaccurate. Once the harmonic balancer is removed, your crank bearings will have about 15K to live. And a harmonic balancer is more important on a four cylinder than on a V8 because the I4 has a power pulse every 180° of crank revolution vs. 90° in the V8.

As for power gained, there isn't as much weight there as you think. And it's so close to the axis of rotation, it doesn't do much.

well thae one i have is stock size it just has one slot and it is light weight but ill just keep my big heavy stock one

See it was to my understanding that the harmonic balancer is used to dapen the vibration created from your crank. Now if you visually inspect a honda crank pulley you will notice that the harmonic balancer that people see is a rather small rubber type grommet looking piece. hardly a harmonic balancer, but that is my opinion on harmonic balancers. Either way you guys should keep your stock crank pulley anyways, save the money for the lack of gains.

Milan

I am posting a link to a conversation about the balancer and all. I don't like to post shit like this since I am against the entire thing of others gaining wrong information from other forums and preaching the word but this guy "zc911" knows his stuff and is reputable, also I have personally inspected the pulley myself and noticed the same thing he said.

Link

Check it out and let me know what you think Loco.

Milan

I personally know five people that have ruined their main bearings after about 15K miles of non- OEM pulley use. Main bearings on Hondas don't normally fail; it's usually something else. Two main causes of bearing failure are lack of oil and excessive vibration. Since the bearings didn't spin, lack of oil can be ruled out, and since all five cars had underdrive pulleys, and all five failed right around 15K miles after the install of the pulley, through process of elimination, I've decided that the underdrive pulleys were at fault.

If it was one case, I'd be skeptical. Two, I'd give it some consideration. But five? And add to those five about eight that I've heard of online.

As for the crank cracking that he speaks of... I doubt a crank would crack.

Now if you visually inspect a honda crank pulley you will notice that the harmonic balancer that people see is a rather small rubber type grommet looking piece. hardly a harmonic balancer, but that is my opinion on harmonic balancers.

You don't need a huge flywheel- sized balancer in there to do the trick. The vibrations are on the order of about 10,000th of an inch of runout, but that's enough to cause bearing failure.

Damn thats a lot of people fucking their shit up, me personally. My close all motor buddies we have run crank pulleys with no problems, I ran one in my SiR for a little over 20k and had no problems, after researching better for my next motor with was the SiRII I decided not to bother with the crank and keep it oem. Either way I always recommend keeping your stocker no matter what, as far as shit breaking I have yet to witness it but from my perspective I can't believe it really fucked up 5 of your buddies bearings went to shit.

Out of curiousity, what type of aftermarket crank pulleys were they running??

And has any of your buddies kept it in and actually not seen wear or bearing failure?

Milan

Here's something I just thought of- they're all D series guys...

Anyway, to answer your questions- They were using Unorthodox and AEM (I think). All five experienced wear. Over on Honda Tech, there's a guy that goes by Mista Bone. He can tell ya from first hand experience about it.

Good call loco, but atleast we both see and recommend not to upgrade it, your experience is from peopel fuckign shit up, mine is from not making didly squat on power. In essence it ends up being the same opinion, not to use it and to keep the oem unit on. :)

Milan

:p Not to beat the f... out of a dead horse, but I have seen cases were there was no damage at all the bearings after 30K of hard running w/ a lightened crank pulley!

Just to add a comment, not to argue, but less parrasitic drag equals hp. Did I spell that right, who cares........

yeah but it doesn't weigh 20lbs or such, but your point is understood though :D we are worried about internal damage which loco is talking about and rather shitty gains from my experience. It opens up power output probably similar to ditching some weigh on your car, like those spares, jacks, subs, etc... and that is for free.

Milan

Originally posted by gocivicls@Aug 26 2003, 02:05 PM
Less parrasitic drag equals hp. Did I spell that right, who cares........

Not only did you spell it incorrectly, but you didn't even use the proper term. You're looking for rotational mass.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back