crank pully bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm gonna assume that you are spinning the bolt the right way ;). Lefty loosie, haha.

A high torque 1/2 impact should be able to get it off no problem. The one I use is earthquake brand and is only $90-$100 and is sold by harbor freight. Let the air compressor get up to max (120-130psi) and hit it until you hear the compressor turn back on again. Stop until the compressor shuts off and hit it again. Do this and it should come off after several cycles.

Use a good chrome vanadium deep well metric impact socket too. Put the socked directly on the gun, even a 3" or 6" 1/2 drive extension will considerably lessen the blows of the impact. I also try turning the socket by hand so that the socked is already loaded up against the bolt when the impact hammers deliver their blow.

Use a MAPP or propane torch if you still can't get it off. Hit it with some heat and then hit it with the impact. Rehit it with heat while you are waiting for the compressor charge.

If all else fails, don't feel bad taking it to a shop. I remember the first time I did a Honda timing belt I drove it to the shop and had them pull the bolt off for me.

There is also this too: Amazon.com: Honda/Acura Crank Pulley Removal Tool 50mm: Automotive

But it sounds like you already have the motor pretty well locked up.

Also when you are hitting it with heat, Heat the head of the bolt, this will cause the bolt to get longer and have less friction against the pulley.

Be sure to add oil to the gun, the less friction in the gun the more torque it will produce. And be sure the gun is set at the max torque setting.

OMG....I am so sick of guys thinking a quality 1/2" Impact gun will do the trick. It sometimes works......but people need to understand that it sometimes doesn't work. The OP tried a big boy 3/4" and still needed heat.

I have been in this situation......and its a bitch to bind the flywheel if the trans is on. I made my own tool to hold the crank. It was so nice to hear that bolt pop when it came loose.

He tried a 3/4" gun with what torque output? They vary from ~500 ft. Lbs to ~2000 ft. Lbs. So, which end of the spectrum was he on?

If it was a gun capable of 1500 or more ft. Lbs and it took all it had, I submit be would have never removed it without a gun.

The gun, used in conjunction with the torch, may have been the only solution. :)

Back