crank pully problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah i tried to get that tool none of the shops around here had one so i had to basically come up with my own lol, and as to mod mans comment he is right about safety lol but i stepped of the extension and it caused it to roll then the breaker bar came down on my ankle was a mistake and accidents happen
Guarantee, the awareness about safety for me didn't come from reading about it! I've got my battle scars over the years - smapped drill bits running through ends of fingers holding the work. Smashed fingers, work flying out of table saw, work flying out of lathe chuck, bolts breaking loose, aluminum flat bar stock flying out of miter saw (that was an exercise in PURE stupidity - I'm just lucky it didn't stick it between my eyes or pull my hand into the 12" blade), engine backfire flames while priming, and so on.

Fortunately, all has healed with minimal scarring and no eye damage.

Hell yes accidents happen! ;)

What you were doing is inherently risky and I should have advised you as such as a part of the post. I didn't - my bad on that. I've been fabricating or some related mechanical discipline for over 40 years and in all honesty should mention safety first in anything I post mechanical solutions or suggestions for - especially something like this one.

I appreciate participating in this thread - it has made me a better member.

Last edited:
Well mod man I thank you for the advise and help I've also had my fair share of stupied things I shouldn't have done or paid more attention to, I personaly haven't had as many years as you as for I'm only 23 but I'm very good with my hands and do a bit of everything. I personaly have had an eye injury and it was no fun doc said I'm lucky I can see (20/20) after couple years of healing Hell I'm lucky to have my eye lol, at 16 me an a buddy played bebe gun wars and had eye protection at first then stupied mee took mine off and ened up gettig shot in the eye like and idiot luckly I blinked so the bebe didn't go in my eye but I'll tell u what lesson learned lol

So here is the tool I found at the parts store today. Got the job done very quickly! Although, it cost me $40 (holy fawk!)....BUT....they called it a "loaner tool" and told me to bring it back when I was done for a full refund. Or I could just keep it. Worked like a charm.

IMG_0272.jpg

....and if you have the motor out like me, you can line up the hole on the tool handle with the threaded hole in the bracket for the lower mount (used a 17mm bolt from the passenger side, front, lower transmission mount). Made it that much easier.
Nice little tool - I think CAFROG mentioned to use it with a cheater bar. An elongated piece of 1 1/2" EMT, IMT or even rigid pipe would slide right over that bad boy and do some real damage. :cool:

Last edited:
Many D-series don't have the hex shape on the crank pulley, hence why I never really tried to use them...especially with impact guns accessible!

Though, for holding the crank pulley, what I've heard of people doing is just sticking the car in 5th and having someone the brakes.

^ lol... my impact isn't pneumatic so its kinda wimpy when it comes to mega torque bolts. Ha, you should have seen what I did to my 1/2'' to 3/8'' ratchet adapter and a long breaker bar on that crank bolt. Ripped that sucker in half with all the torsion applied to it. After that, I stopped being lazy and went back out to the parts store to get an actual 1/2'' drive 19mm socket. Ooops...

Glad to hear the nut worked. Sorry about your ankle lol. When I did it.....the swap was on a pallet so we were able to hold the crank and bust the crank bolt safely.

I am pretty sure the nut is 1-15/16".....but a 2" will work with a little table grinding.

And everyone likes to talk about big impact guns. First...you need a compressor (which many dont have) and then you gotta get a 3/4" or 1" impact gun and then you need 3/4" or 1" deep socket 19mm. Thats pricey stuff. Because of my frugal nature lol....I came up with an cheaper, yet effective alternative.

$3 bolt and a monkey wrench.....its like a soar dick....you cant beat it!!!!

Last edited:
You don't have to buy a compressor or gun; just drive your car to a shop and have them loosen it and hand-tighten it with a ratchet. Take it home, and a "regular" breaker bar should be able to take it off easily.

There was a guy on here that took his car to 3 different shops and they couldn't get it loose either. I bought him the nut and he got it off. My way works much better.

And a "regular" breaker bar doesn't address the problem of the crank moving as you try to lossen it unless its pretty loose....you need to hold the crank still and as many of you know (based on threads on this topic again and again) impact guns can really suck for this situation....although there is always someone claiming the big gun will work we see that it often does not

Beg and borrow to hand tighten and drive home scares me a little too.

There was a guy on here that took his car to 3 different shops and they couldn't get it loose either. I bought him the nut and he got it off. My way works much better.

And a "regular" breaker bar doesn't address the problem of the crank moving as you try to lossen it unless its pretty loose....you need to hold the crank still and as many of you know (based on threads on this topic again and again) impact guns can really suck for this situation....although there is always someone claiming the big gun will work we see that it often does not

Beg and borrow to hand tighten and drive home scares me a little too.
I disagree with you 100% on this. The idea you proposed is a good one and it obviously worked. No issue with that, the results speak for themselves.

Why keep harping on guns? A gun would have taken that thing off quickly. I don't know who "There was a guy on here that took his car to 3 different shops and they couldn't get it loose either." is. I don't buy that at all. Not that it didn't happen - it may well have happened. But, a conclusion can't be drawn from it that a gun wouldn't get the job done. I'm not buying that statement.

A proper size gun would have got it done and got it done quickly and without injury. I guarantee you the largest gun I have, on it's highest setting would twist the head right off that bolt. And the bolt would have spun loose long before it twisted the head off it. And no, one does not start at full power, you work up to whatever torque is needed for the given job.

Your way works and works well. It doesn't work better than a gun. Anybody that has guns will tell you they are huge timesavers.

Give it a rest. :)

Last edited:
You know why holding the crank doesn't work for me? Because most of my crank pulleys don't even have the hex shape. :p Also, sticking the car in 5th and if needed, having someone on the brakes has worked for me.

A decent shop should have a gun that could take care of it(when my brother took his car to the shop the mechanic actually used a different gun than what he normally used); and as stated before heavy machine/diesel shops should indefinitely have the tools for that.

Btw, when I worked at CAT one of the impacts we used is this:
27-41195c68-b9d1-4571-a94e-a39c88b3654f.jpg
They put out +1000lb of torque and still utilizing the "hammering" effect.

Last edited:
I've tried a 1/2" impact turned up to around 140psi and no go. The other guy went to 3 different wheel shops with a 3/4".

Too many people speak of impact guns not making it happen. And not enough people own a compressor let alone a 3/4 impact gun. Its simple logic here. $3 nut is the more logical answer to MOST people's problems on B series motors. Just cuz modman likes an impact gun....dont make it a better solution and.......sometimes.....the impact gun is NOT a solution at all.

I've tried a 1/2" impact turned up to around 140psi and no go. The other guy went to 3 different wheel shops with a 3/4".

Too many people speak of impact guns not making it happen. And not enough people own a compressor let alone a 3/4 impact gun. Its simple logic here. $3 nut is the more logical answer to MOST people's problems on B series motors. Just cuz modman likes an impact gun....dont make it a better solution and.......sometimes.....the impact gun is NOT a solution at all.
* A 3/4" gun was suggested - not 1/2".

* 1/2" impact guns are not all created equal.

* Were is this mystery guy that went to numerous shops that couldn't remove a bolt with 3/4" guns - then what, he subsequently removed it by hand?

* What logic dictates a $3 nut is an answer to anything? Are you suggesting since you don't own guns - those that do are idiots?

* True, I do like guns, as do many others - own 5 of them.

* Where did anyone on this thread, let alone me, suggest a pneumatic gun was a better solution? It was only suggested as a solution, one that many of us have experience and success using. I for one was, and still am supportive of your suggested solution - good creative cost effective mechanical solution.

* True, sometimes an impact gun isn't a solution at all. However, other times a gun is the only solution. And most times a good gun is a timesaver. When rotating tires or just removing a wheel for other maintenance the gun is the first tool I go for after blocking and jacking vehicle. What does that have to do with this thread?

Last edited:
Now you are acting like an Asshole. Plus you are calling me a liar. And you speak as if I do not have knowledge or experience. Its obvious that I do

Chances are I am much older than you and have been turning wrenches before you were shitting green.....so ease off

My father taught me how to work on cars with the numerous Hot Rods he's built throughout my entire life And I have been tuning on my Honda since 1996 (to my fathers dismay)...still own it and do everything on it myself.

Pneumatic Impact guns are OFTEN NOT a solution to getting a Crank Bolt off a B series block. But there's always some guy that is telling everyone that a big gun will knock off the crank bolt. Yes I own a good size vertical compressor and a 1/2" impact that did not work.

I gave the OP a great solution and you still have the audacity to talk shit to me. I wrote these things because I am sick of idiots thinking a big gun solves your problems. A little ingenuity goes much farther.

:werd: to what mod-man said. You simply put down guns as too expensive and do not always work, which is a very generalized statement, and not all guns are created equal. In my experiences, we had impacts that torque or loosen bolts in a couple of seconds; while doing it by hand required a ~10-11ft long wrench, and a LOT of labor. As stated before many heavy machine/diesel shops have more powerful tools than what you'd see in a typical auto shop and especially in someone's garage. Access to them is as simple as asking.

Off topic: but when I worked at CAT(mfg); I don't think I ever saw a 3/4 gun; just 1/2 and 1". :shrug2: I actually just realized that.

I may not have been wrenching as long as many people on this board, but I've learned enough to take advantage of every "easy way". ;)

Last edited:
ok to put this all to rest everyone that contributed to my thread had good ideas yes impact guns are a good tool to use and very helpful i know because i use air tools all the time they are time savers and everything else but in my problem impact gun just was not cutting it and i do not have the money to just throw around for a bigger one so for me yes CAFROG's idea worked perfectly fine and i commend him on his idea as for im sure ill use it in the future and so will others that stumble across this thread that have the same issues. END OF STORY we all get BOTH ideas are good ones but mod-man NOT everyone does have the money for bigger air tools and what not so yes CAFROG's idea in a sense was 100% perfect for me may not be for everyone because im sure alot of people have money to just go buy the stuff they need.......................

Now you are acting like an Asshole. Plus you are calling me a liar. And you speak as if I do not have knowledge or experience. Its obvious that I do

Chances are I am much older than you and have been turning wrenches before you were shitting green.....so ease off

My father taught me how to work on cars with the numerous Hot Rods he's built throughout my entire life And I have been tuning on my Honda since 1996 (to my fathers dismay)...still own it and do everything on it myself.

Pneumatic Impact guns are OFTEN NOT a solution to getting a Crank Bolt off a B series block. But there's always some guy that is telling everyone that a big gun will knock off the crank bolt. Yes I own a good size vertical compressor and a 1/2" impact that did not work.

I gave the OP a great solution and you still have the audacity to talk shit to me. I wrote these things because I am sick of idiots thinking a big gun solves your problems. A little ingenuity goes much farther.
Let's chalk it up to miscommunication and misunderstanding.

I wish you well brother. :)

Just yaself a 1\2" drive SNAP-ON impact. My has never failed me with crank pulley bolts. Its expensive ( mine was around 450 ) but its a bad ass impact. Personally I think snap-on under rates them. :thumbsup:

Back