crankcase breather problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

highperboi

does anyone know what could be wrong with my car if anything? the probelm is at idle the valve cover breather is pushing air out. i dont know about when im driving but even when i rev air is still coming from the breather hole. im thinking this means i have to much crankcase pressure but im not sure. maybe i have my pcv system hooked up wrong?? can someone help me out? thanks.

I didnt know you could hook it up wrong. it has been known to happen, but i doubt its anything to worry about. If you do end up pushing oil through your breather hose, id just suggest a catch can, but other than oil in your intake, i dont see a problem with that.

Quoted post[/post]]
does anyone know what could be wrong with my car if anything? the probelm is at idle the valve cover breather is pushing air out. i dont know about when im driving but even when i rev air is still coming from the breather hole. im thinking this means i have to much crankcase pressure but im not sure. maybe i have my pcv system hooked up wrong?? can someone help me out? thanks.

Isn't that like the whole purpose of the breather? To release excess gases back into the intake? You do have your hose still connected to your air intake right?

everything is connected but i think the breather is supposed to be sucking not blowing. cuz the crank case goes to that oil seperater to the intake manifold. so shouldnt there be a vacuum ???

Blow-by and pistons going up and down create positive pressure.

ya... but you know how the oil seperater is connected to the intake manifold... why isnt the crankcase preasure going there? where is the vacuum going or is the crank case creating more the pressure then what the engine is sucking in?

Quoted post[/post]]
ya... but you know how the oil seperater is connected to the intake manifold... why isnt the crankcase preasure going there? where is the vacuum going or is the crank case creating more the pressure then what the engine is sucking in?

The "oil separator" you're referring to is that place where the two different runs of steel tubing are welded together just behind the valve cover correct? The bottom run of tubing runs coolant thru it. I put a short ram intake on my car the other day. It came with a new shiny black silicone hose for the breather, that runs directly from the valve cover nipple to the nipple on the short ram intake air tube, which eliminated the need for that top run of steel tubing on that "oil separator." So then I disconnected the bottom hoses that run coolant thru them, and connected them to each other using a dual male hose connector. It looks like two nipples with a ridge in the middle. Then I threw the "oil separator" tubing in the garbage. Works fine now. You might get a little coolant squirting out when you're disconnecting the bottom tubes from that thing, so DO NOT do this while the car is hot. Do it when it's cold. So there you go.

Back