Crankshaft pulley bolt loosen direction?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Short and sweet since I'm in a rush to get this thing done.
*I have the Helms on PDF and it doesn't clarify this*

I've got the Flywheel held with a Crowbar.
In order to loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt, do you loosen counter-clockwise or clockwise(is it reverse threaded so-as not to spin the motor?)?

Thanks! Hopefully someone can read this soon, I really need to get this timing belt replaced.

-Andrew

Here's what my Helms says:

5-19.jpg
5-20.jpg

Maybe I just don't clearly understand what direction exactly I'm supposed to turn to loosen it.

Any help would be great!
Thanks

-Andrew

turn it left just like it shows in the diagram. i would take it somewhere and have it impacted off.

I just got it off fellas. Thanks.

What I did(in case you were curious) was took off my starter(exposed Flywheel), put a crowbar in the teeth and had my mom hold it. sprayed PB blaster a few times on the bolt. held the impact on it loosing it, then tightend it for a sec, then held it loosening again.

It came right off!

Anyway. thanks again guys
-Andrew

Yeah sorry to rub it in...

hey, I have another question though.
I'm trying to get it into TDC, but I can't seem to find the arrow or mark on the crank-gear. I see the arrow on the block, but I can't find it elsewhere... Anybody know where it is?
Is it on the gear, or the Pulley?(I looked but didnt see it on the crank pulley)

yeah and I'm having a fun time rolling the cam/gear over to TDC as well.... any tricks anyone knows of that help make the process easier?

when I took the belt off I accidentally spun the cam gear over a bit, and I'm pretty sure i need to allign everything at TDC.. right?

Thanks
-Andrew

Yea you do need both in TDC
All the timing belts i did had a hole on top of the cam to put a small nail (or small allen key/hex) inside it to hold the cam in place.
I've never lined up the crank to TDC on a single cam... but look for some markings on the GEAR behind the crank pulley.
There should be a mark on the block and a little "circle" or dot on the gear to match it up.
To make sure it's at TDC put a long screwdriver in #1 cylinder and make sure it goes up all the way.

There are also lines on the pulley, one by itself, along with 3 others in a group. The one by itself is the TDC mark. Rregarding the camshaft, I am not familiar with the d-series, but on the b-series, the cams have a little pin hole, maybe 6-8mm in diameter, that matched up with an eyelet on the cam caps at TDC. I just line the two up (or two sets of 2 on my b18), and stick a screwdriver in them to keep them lined up until the belt is on.

Well heres my progress.
According to my trusty Helms manual, the pulley has a little bit of white paint on the back of the crank pulley. I lined that up with the marks on the lower timing belt cover,and got that set.
Then I moved up top and rolled the cam over to TDC(really pretty difficult w/o the timing belt on, but a trusty Oil-filter wrench did the trick!).

Got everything in, and when I tried to start it, I soon realized the starter(which I had removed to gain access/block the flywheel while removing the crank bolt) was not alligned with the flywheel apparently, so it just cranked over once then spun..

I'm going to pull/reallign the starter today. Other than that, it should fire up.... hopefully.

-Andrew

next time pull the spark plugs when setting the timing.

you should just have to bolt it on!!!

also, hope you didnt break any valves when you turned the head over to TDC.

I asked my mechanic buddy and he said it would be fine. plus I didnt have to crank SUPER hard on the cam-gear to get it to move..

but I hope not as well.

I wonder why it's not starting then? something must be wrong...
in fear of the worst, if my valves were bent when the timing jumped on the road, would it make my car not start, now that the timing is set? would it bog the starter???

Back