crankshaft pulley bolt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bklyneg

anybody ever break the crankshaft pulley bolt? if so, what the hell did you do to get it out?

holy shit dude. You broke that "special bolt"? I've rattled the shit out of that bolt with a 3/4" drive gun, and haven't broken one yet. I don't know what to tell you. Use a lot of penetrating oil, degrease the outside, weld a nut through the center to what is left of the bolt. Rattle away on the nut.

Hopefully that works, if not, you may be SOL. I don't think an EZ out would work.

Let a good welder weld that nut on. There is technique involved to make that a strong weld that will not just fall off.

can i drill thru the center of the broken bolt and just use an extractor or no? or how bout just drill thru the center and keep increasing the size of the bit until it comes out? i'm so pissed right now. i dont know a welder.

Originally posted by bklyneg@Jun 18 2004, 11:55 PM
can i drill thru the center of the broken bolt and just use an extractor or no? or how bout just drill thru the center and keep increasing the size of the bit until it comes out? i'm so pissed right now. i dont know a welder.

that's a big bolt. You broke the head off of a very tough bolt. WD-40, JB-80, Liquid Wrench, use whatever penetrating lubricant you can find. Hose it down good. Leave it for a day.

You can try an extractor......It may or may not work. But once you drill, you're dedicated. If that doesn't work, you'd have to drill and retap the threads.

Welding a nut on is the best option. Heating up the metal around the bolt without heating the bolt itself would also help, but I can't think of a safe way to do it that would make a difference.

Good luck.

And be carefull not to break off the drill bit. Drilling through drill bits is near impossible.

ok check this out.. iv done one on my 1.5 crx dx motor and one on my 95z6 in my crx... i had a breaker bar with it on the bolt, and i had a 3foot pipe... YUP needles to say, it was soo unbeliably easy to get it off.. with the pipe attached. with no effort it gave a crack and i twisted it off with my fingers... good luck
Tyler

uhh did you read the posts , the bolt is broke off, not stuck.

ops my bad man.. i thought u ment break as in like break it free... guess not... u ever try welding a nut to the bolt still stuck in there. let it sit and crank it out with a wrench.... sry bout that man..
Tyler

haahaa baby, got that fucker out. didnt think it was gonna happen for a minute. welded a nut on the end and sure enough, came right out. thanks fellas.

For future reference an extractor usually works.

Once you break the head off, there isn't any pressure on the nut itself so it should just come out easily.

Back