Crankshaft Pulley... how do I get it off?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jisakson

Hey guys..

My car needed a new head gasket... so I decided to do the timing belt and water pump at the same time, and I can't get my crankshaft pulley off... everytime I try to torque it off the god damn crank just spins... any tricks? or just clamp it or what?

If its a manual just put it in gear. If its an automatic :shrug2:

Also make sure you are turning it the right way. I believe the crank pulley bolt is countersunk so it doesn't undo itself through normal operation.

It is in gear.. and you mean countersunk like reverse thread?

Quoted post[/post]]
It is in gear.. and you mean countersunk like reverse thread?
It's NOT reverse thread, i think he means the way the pulley actually sits inside the timing cover/block guarding on the bottom, on top of a gear with a small key to hold it in place.
Take the starter out (2 bolts) and have someone hold a pry bar of somekind in the flywheel teeth (carefully) while you try for an hour to break the bolt loose.

Im going to take a water pump plyers and try to hold it, otherwise I will take off the inspection plate/starter and just hold the flywheel

Go to a local mechanic and ask if you can borrow an impact wrench for 2 seconds. That is literally all it takes. Every other method sucks, and takes a long time. Using an impact gun. I was able to replace the timing belt and reset the timing in like an hour.

you'll need to use a big gun with lots of air. my dads impact wrench is rated at like 320 ft/lbs and we cranked the compressor up to 150 psi and it didn't do anything.

Quoted post[/post]]
Go to a local mechanic and ask if you can borrow an impact wrench for 2 seconds. That is literally all it takes. Every other method sucks, and takes a long time. Using an impact gun. I was able to replace the timing belt and reset the timing in like an hour.

Yeah... I did take an Impact Gun to it, my dad is a service manager at a Dealership, its Domestic... but he said thats what I should do, just wondering if you guys knew a better way. and MikeBergy your an amazing individual for doing your timing belt and stuff in like an hour... everything is such a bitch with this fucking car, working on the top of the engine was easy, but once I got deeper into it all the bolts didn't want to come, the exhaust bolts I had to heat up... everything was fighting me, I dono... maybe I need to turn the torque on the impact up or something, but the god damn crank just keeps turning and pissing me off... ill figure it out

thanks guys!

I had issues with my Sube pulley, I called Unorthodox and they told me to put the car in 5th gear. Then have someone hold the brakes while you Tq or remove the pulley.

Quoted post[/post]]
I had issues with my Sube pulley, I called Unorthodox and they told me to put the car in 5th gear. Then have someone hold the brakes while you Tq or remove the pulley.

I know that this method didn't work for me. I guess it might if the clutch is rated for like 250ft-lbs of torque, but with a stock clutch, it just slipped. I know honda makes a flywheel holder that bolts to the fw, and holds it in place while you crank on the pulley (no pun intended), I'll look in my helms and find out the pn.

The tool is called a 'ring gear holder' - part # 07924-PD20003 or 07924-PD20002

The helms calls for its use when pulling the flywheel, but it will probably work for loosening the pulley as well.

I know snap-on sells a crankpulley holder I don't know how much it costs though. the crank pulley holder I bought from the local tool store didn't fit it was too small. never saw the ring gear holder must of missed it in the helms.

Back