CRANKSHAFT PULLEY NUT,,NEED TO LOOSEN : HOW!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IM TRYING TO CHANGE MY CAMBELT ( D15B MOTOR)AND IM STUCK,,,,,HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LOOSEN THAT BLOODY CRANKSHAFT PULLEY NUT(MIND MY LANGUAGE ,IM THAT FED UP),THE BLOODY THING IS TIGHT AS HELL FROM THE FACTORY,EVERY TIME I TURN IT ,THE CRANKSHAFT ALSO TURNS.....IS THERE A WAY I CAN STOP THE CRANKSHAFT FROM TURNING OVER,SO I CAN AT LEAST APPLY MAX FORCE WITHOUT THE CRANKSHAFT TURING.////?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

IVE ALREADY ADDED COPIUS AMOUNTS OF PENETRATING SPRAY

You can do two things: A) impact wrench and B ) wedge a regular srewdriver between the gears of your flywheel and the transmission casing. DONT FORGET TO TORQUE THE NUT DOWN WHEN RE-INSTALLING IT! I didnt and my crank pulley came off at 75 mph :eek: :confused:

What i do is wrap the pulley with a rag, then strap a chain wrench on it. Just hold the chain wrench and you won't have a problem. Works everytime

Quoted post[/post]]
What i do is wrap the pulley with a rag, then strap a chain wrench on it. Just hold the chain wrench and you won't have a problem. Works everytime
minus one^.
You are lucky if you can get that to work! :eek:
Underneath the car, where the tranny and engine meet, there is a little metal cover/plate to protect/hide the flywheel.
Take the cover off, and use a sharp crowbar, or good size thick screwdriver and have a friend hold it tight while you use the longest possible leverage bar you can find.
We used 3/4 socket with a mid size 3/4 extension, and for our leverage bar we used the leg from the cherry picker.
(works on axle nuts too).
Works everytime :)

impact gun

screwdriver in flywheel

or simple ratchet + socket + any hammer + repeated strikes to the ratchet = loose bolt

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
minus one^.
You are lucky if you can get that to work! :eek:

I've used this meathod on every motor i've taken part.
props to skill, maybe my pulleys always have too much oil on them :cry:

Quoted post[/post]]
or simple ratchet + socket + any hammer + repeated strikes to the ratchet = loose bolt

Or a broken ratchet. You folks ever heard of a "breaker bar"?

For me, I have a 3 foot breaker bar, and use the "screwdriver in the flywheel teeth" method. Works for me.

Pull the spark plug in the cylinder that you can see the lobs thru the oil cap, then feed some rope in the cylinder thru the spark plug hole...and then compress the rope with the piston....but be warned....on do this with the lobs of the camshaft....off of the camshaft...

best to just pull the valve cover off, and verify that the valves will not hit the clump of rope in the cylinder....

and what you induced is a stopage in the engine...it's perfectly safe...if you keep in mind the direction your turning the crank....

I posted this same info somewhere here in more detail...so do a search on it...

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...crankshaft+bolt

thanks a lot guys ,some guy managed to get it loose ,using the wedge -screwdriver-in-flywheel method,however after driving for around 200 kms the pulley came loose,somehow the little locking pin that wedges itself between pulley and crank came loose along with the nut,luckily as soon as i heard the belts squirming i parked the car and had it towed home...

the next day i called the same guy who reinsatlled the belts and retightened the pulley

how tight must that bolt be,i mean should i tighten the thing damn hard? the guy who redid it for me put the locking pin back attached a socket and hit it back with a sledge,is that enough?????? shouldnt he have taken out the starter wedged the screwdriver and really tightened the bugger???????

he assures me it will never come out

also i noticed that when idling the crankshaft pulley moves around slightly whilst spining ,as soon as the revs pick the slight movement stops and it just spins neatly.........is it normal????????????

Get it as tight as you can get it, and then do another 1/2 turn :)
No, i'm pretty sure your crank pulley should not move any other way besides around :confused:

Quoted post[/post]]
Get it as tight as you can get it, and then do another 1/2 turn :)
No, i'm pretty sure your crank pulley should not move any other way besides around :confused:

well for peace of mind im going to tighten that nut as hard as i can,,i want to beleive waht i saw was an error of parralax as the whole engine does vibrate slightly when idling ( which is normal) and then stops when revs go up

the amazing thing is that my old timing belt was on its way out,it had a tear and was hanging on by some threads,i was about to embark on a 1000km trip ,when for no particular reason i just decided to cancell and fit a new cambelt.Had i gone on that trip chances are it would have snapped leaving my ass with a huge repair bill....

one last question what is the bhest syntheitic oil out there ,im currently using castrol formula rs 10w60 on my d15b 3 stage vtec,ive heard of this mobil 1,but which is the best value for money synthetic oil??????

Back