Crate Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JimJewy

Are these motors really worth the price? I have a 99 ex and am looking for more power. I have looked at Spoon motors but are they really worth the 6,000 dollars? Any one have any ideas or better alternatives?

The big reason is that i want to get a good kick when i hit SOLO 1 this year. Up hear in Canada some of this is hard to find out. The guys are all crooks at the local shops. The big thing i need is relability. HP is great but if i cant finish my race then what good is it? I was hoping that a crate motor was the way to go.

H22a it if you are doing solo cross.... You can balance your suspension well enough that the weight difference won't matter, and it will accelerate well out of turns. Everyone that I've talked to w/ the H22 swap has loved it.

the spoon motors are build for extreme heat dissapation for extended torture, while maintaining performance. They aren't really built for power at all. You can build a motor that will do just fine, with more power, for 6 grand.

he'll get eaten alive on a road course if he has an H22 in there

The best thing i have heard is to mate b16a2 motor with a B18c5 transmission. Someone was trying to sell me the Spoon motor.

i think for $6-8k youd be better off buyin a blown or hydrolocked motor and completely rebuilding it to your specs.... my boy got a hydrolocked H22 for $20, put golden eagle godzilla sleeves(o-ringed), full race rods, wiseco endyn rollerwave pistons, ferrea stainless oversized valves and besides that the rest of the head is all skunk 2 (ported and polished etc...)... went ahead and replaced every gasket, seal, and bearing at the same time, and got a new oil pump, new water pump, and alternator (no power steering or ac) and had a fully built H22 ready to put out 800+ horsepower and spent less than 8 grand on building the motor and everything else he needs (besides turbo kit) to drop it in the car and ride out.... somethin to think about.....

know anywhere that has any blown or hydrolocked? I live in Ontario and some of these things are hard to come by.

just keep your eyes open...someone's always hydrolocking with those damn cai's...after hearing the horror stories I wouldn't even consider one where I live...we had 4 inches of rain last night and due for more tonight...

spend the money, get the bypass valve=no hydrolock B)

if you want reliable, don't go spoon. get yourself a nice B18C5.

Originally posted by JimJewy@Nov 18 2003, 07:38 AM
The best thing i have heard is to mate b16a2 motor with a B18c5 transmission. Someone was trying to sell me the Spoon motor.

as far as i know the gearing on those two are the same (the ITR tranny has LSD though) just get an aftermarket LSD for the B16 tranny

yeah i know the gearing the same but i want the LSD. I might just do that and buy a after market LSD

:werd: Honda built stock race motor=Reliable up to 8.5k on a daily basis.

I would imagine the aftermarket LSD (if a quality Quaife unit or other is purchased) would actually be superior to the factory LSD.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Nov 19 2003, 11:51 PM
I would imagine the aftermarket LSD (if a quality Quaife unit or other is purchased) would actually be superior to the factory LSD.

indeed

not to say the stock unit is not good .... but there are better ones out there

so far i have no complaints about my honda LSD though :)

Back