Craziness in Haiti after Earthquake

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's really sad...I know before I went there for the first time I had ideas in my mind about what it would like, and man I couldn't have been more wrong. I had pictures of highways and big buildings, and its completely the opposite.

The roads for a couple miles around the airport are paved, but most everywhere else is dirt, almost 4wd in a lot of areas. For me it was a completely eye opening experience. I guess I didn't think people were really that impoverished. I really cannot imagine what it must be like in Port-au-Prince right now.

I really cannot imagine what it must be like in Port-au-Prince right now.
From Yahoo
"...Much of Port-au-Prince was reduced to rubble by the quake on January 12, but the airport was operational, opening the way for international relief aid to be ferried in by air as well as by sea."
capt_9c823f6d2a597c43675222a9380fdf4c.jpg

View attachment 12857

View attachment 12858

View attachment 12859

Last edited:
I've also heard that one of the other cities I stayed in, Jacmel, also has quite a bit of damage to it. Its pretty much due south from Port-au-Prince, and later yesterday had a magnitude 5 aftershock fairly close that took out a bunch of structures.

I stayed at a very nice(by Haitian standards) hotel in Jacmel, hopefully its still there, it was one of my favorite places in Haiti.

I've also heard that one of the other cities I stayed in, Jacmel, also has quite a bit of damage to it. Its pretty much due south from Port-au-Prince, and later yesterday had a magnitude 5 aftershock fairly close that took out a bunch of structures.

I stayed at a very nice(by Haitian standards) hotel in Jacmel, hopefully its still there, it was one of my favorite places in Haiti.

Hotel Montanna collapsed (not sure if that was the one you stayed at)....there were 300 people inside, only 100 got out, most were volunteers coming to help a certain cause.....

Hotel Montanna collapsed (not sure if that was the one you stayed at)....there were 300 people inside, only 100 got out, most were volunteers coming to help a certain cause.....

That's in Port-au-Prince isn't it? Or the outskirts of the city maybe. When I stayed in Port-au-Prince proper we stayed at the Visa Lodge.

The place I was thinking of is in Jacmel, it was like 5 stories tall, and had beautiful section of beach.

That's in Port-au-Prince isn't it?
Yes.
USA Today said:
"The well-known Hotel Montana, also in Port-au-Prince, is reportedly destroyed, according to Hotels Magazine. The magazine reports that some 200 hotel guests are reported missing at the popular at Hôtel Montana, a 4-star tourist hotel that's one of the many buildings near the capital that have been destroyed..."

That's in Port-au-Prince isn't it? Or the outskirts of the city maybe. When I stayed in Port-au-Prince proper we stayed at the Visa Lodge.

The place I was thinking of is in Jacmel, it was like 5 stories tall, and had beautiful section of beach.

HA yeah.....it is sorry about hat missread your post

i saw on the news last night texting haiti to 90999 will donate $10 to the red cross
auto charged onto your phone bill

anyone verify?

Yup the Red Cross texting is legit.

Twitter has a way of spreading utter bullshit like a wild fire in California.

Back