crazy B-series idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

audioguru76

ok, so with so many people doing the LS/VTEC setups i got this weird idea, and i was wanting some other opinions. With Ls/VTEC everyone knows that you mate the LS bottom end with the VTEC head, this leaves a B16 shortblock and a LS head unused. Ok, so the bore on both the b16 and b18 are the same, so the combustion chambers/head gasket/cylinder bore should line up fine. there's a 2.3 cc difference between the b16 head and the LS, so the Compression ratio should drop. ( i haven't calculated how much yet, because i can't find the piston dome/dish displacement) now i realize that this combination is taking the "worst" of both motors (the low torque output of B16 with the non-vtec head) and putting them together. well, i'm thinking that with a properly sized turbo, the awesome rod/stroke ratio of the b16 bottom (according to TOO), the lowered compression ratio from the bigger combustion chambers, and the relatively low cost, this might be a pretty decent setup.

what do you think.....i'm curious

Ben

I think it would be a waste of time. The PR4 head is the biggest piece of shit head known to man kind and the cams are junk. Even after porting it out and getting a nice set of cams your not going to outflow a Vtec head.

i think maybe you guys are missing my point. taking the "leftovers" from all the LS/VTEC s being built and make a low compression, nonVTEC, dohc, turbo motor. a smart shopper, could easily acquire a shortblock and head for the cost of a good VTEC head alone.

i'm not trying to argue, just not sure if you guys were catching my drift.

Ben

i say go for it dude. i've thought about doing this at one point... but didn't really have the parts lying around- and buying it for the sake of building a bastard motor was kinda out of the question.

i'd lvoe to see the results of this. if you do it, please keep us posted on the build

i've seen it done with a the d-series...z6 block with b7 head. he called it the "un-mini me" lol. boosted it like 7psi and got decent numbers out of it IIRC. i say go for it. people wouldn't believe you when you said what you had tho lol

youd have to plug the vtec oil ports and get the dowel pins for an lsvtec and install them upside down. would that work?

Instinct would tell me to say 'man thats dumb...don't do that shite'.

But shit, I've NEVER heard of anyone doing that...I've heard people ask about it, but never seen it done.

Go for it. Who knows, maybe you'll discover something.

:thumbsup:

progress only happens when someone tries something never done. go for it. would try it myself but i dont have a b16 block and i got another idea for the ls head.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 6 2004, 11:03 PM
i say go for it dude. i've thought about doing this at one point... but didn't really have the parts lying around- and buying it for the sake of building a bastard motor was kinda out of the question.

i'd lvoe to see the results of this. if you do it, please keep us posted on the build
[post=427435]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

Seriously, go for it. You can make a B18A/B head flow well without too much work. Careful headwork and a well selected set of cams is all it takes.

Originally posted by friz@Dec 8 2004, 11:13 PM
The Boosted Bastard Build..... I like the sound of that.
[post=429091]Quoted post[/post]​

hmmm...The Bastard B-series Buildup on a Budget brought to you by Ben Brotherton.

the illiteration is irresistable.

Man ,you got to do this. I love making something cool out of other peoples trash.

i cant wait for the results. if someone wants to donate a b16 block, ill do it this weekend

i dont have $ thats why i said donate. haha

Originally posted by audioguru76+Dec 9 2004, 05:53 AM-->
@Dec 8 2004, 11:13 PM
The Boosted Bastard Build..... I like the sound of that.
[post=429091]Quoted post[/post]​

hmmm...The Bastard B-series Buildup on a Budget brought to you by Ben Brotherton.

the illiteration is irresistable.
[post=429129]Quoted post[/post]​

i laughed out loud. seriously. people are still looking @ me :lol:

you could call it the BBB, but then you might get sue'd for stealing the name of the better business bureau....
Ive actually thought of this, becase I have both sitting in my garage, but I think I want to get the head ported and polished, so it will flow better.
I wonder, what would put out more hp:
the boosted bastard build at 10psi
or a LS turbo at 10psi
hrm... because I have a complete b18a1 here, and a b16 short block....
I might start taking stuff apart tommorow, and look to see what needs to be done, especially with the dowel pins. blocking off vtec oil lines wont be too hard, just tap and put a plug below the surface of the head(like you do with an ls/vtec in the head, but do this on the block side), and use a ls head gasket.
ill let you know what I figure out...
things I do, just because Im bored...lol
and...its never been done before.

whats going on the ls head and b16 block has been done.. if i can find the site i founf it at i will post it up..

it was one of those that they work at a shop got bored and stuck the ls head and b16 block together, they did not have it running but it was in the car it look good to.. like i side ill have to find that site to let you see
:ph34r:

Back