Crazy brakes problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swapdohc

I have a 94 Si w a ITR swap. I pulled up behind another civic hatch today who clearly wnated to run. When I stoped behing him there was nothing noticably different than any other time I had stoped. The light went green and we took off. My acceleration seemed less violent than it usually does, but I did not make anything of it and blew by the other HB. In a 1/2 mile we were coming up to the next light which was red and I stepped on the brakes to find that I had almost NO stopping power at all :eek: . I had plenty of pedal pressure but they were completly overheated. With some agresive doulble cluthched down shifts and e-brake action I stopped with out crashing into any other cars (Not by much though). When I did come to a stop both my front wheels were billowing stank ass brake smoke. I got off the road and neither of the back brakes seemed hot at all, just the fronts.

This problems scares the crap out of me as I have a 2 year old that frequently is in the car with me. Does any one know what might have caused this? I don't believe it is bad calipers as both fronts did it at the same time and seem to be fine ever since, just like before. I believe it has to be either in the brake master cylender or in the brake distribution block, but I do not know which or what would cause this. I have a 1" ITR master cylender and distribution block that I was intending to put when my ss lines and Brembro rotors come in but at this point I would like to figure out this problem before I drive the car anymore. (The brakes are 100% stock now).

Thank You very much for your time and input.

how fast were you going when you stepped on the brakes at the end of the run?
what kinda pads are you running?
was the engine running normal after the run?

sounds like one of 2 things to me:

1. you glazed the pads and got no more power out of braking
2. your valve on your brake booster vacuum hose might be clogged or going bad.

maybe im wrong but thats what i would check first.

if it was the pads, get yourself a set of decent pads from now on, or run slotted rotors. but running slotted rotors will greatly decrease your pad life.

good luck

sound like the brakes stuck on from the stop you did hence the slight loss in acceleration. its probly noting with the lines, master cylinder, dist. block since they are a diagonal spilt system. check if your brake light is on when your car is just sitting there with no p-brake on. if there is it might be you lost you back brakes and the fronts are doing all the work. or you can jack the front up using jack and jack stands and check the brake drag in nutral. it should spin about once around then stop. good luck!

2. your valve on your brake booster vacuum hose might be clogged or going bad.
that sound likely cuz that would give you lots of pedal pressure since you only have approx. a 2:1 pedal ratio where a manual brake system would have approx. 4:1 ratio and when you lose your vacuum to the boosterthey go manual and you dont have mechanical advantage with a 2:1 ratio= pain in the ass to stop

I was probly at about 80 mph when I hit the brakes and tey are good brake pads with lots of life left. I also was not driving hard at all before the run. I Frequently auto cross this car and have not ever had this kind of problem from hard driving. Th front calipers stayed closed after I stopped, and the got super hot over less than 1/4 mile run.

Is there a way to test the valve on the brake booster. I also have the entire brake booster from the JDM ITR clip (2001) as well as the 1" master cyl and distribution block. Do you know if the righ hand drive booster will fit on a lhd car?

Thanks for the info.

PS The car stops 100% since the brakes have cooled and all 4 corners seem to be working and the cars rools very easily even after jabing the brakes.

Is there a way to test the valve on the brake booster.
yes it is a one way valve so take it off put one end in your mouth then try blowing then sucking if air comes tru new valve. but a little leak down should be acceptable so if its a little bit of air dont worry. Also does the car roll easy when you push it in nutral or driving??? I hope pushing :ph34r:

maybe bleed your brakes just for the hell of it?

Back