crazy idea? put b18b head on a b16a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hammerdgolfer

hey, i was wondering today if i could put a ls head on my built b16 block for turbo purposes, the block im told is already able to handle 25psi via turbo but how much more would it lower the compression and whatnot with the ls head?
the block has 10.5:1 pistons right now so what would the new compression be

am i right that i think it would be better since i will have alot of boost that i dont want vtec to pop in and add the extra pressure to my motor while the turbo is spooled?

i think it's a terrible idea. you do understand that less compression + more boost = more compression + less boost right? just turn the boost down, or build the block. don't throw away vtec for a -0.5 in compression. that's all you'd get... maybe try a thicker head gasket.

if you do it, you'll be so much slower than a stock b16 running a reasonable amount of boost.

ya but some people using alot of boost run 8.5:1,
when i push my motor to its max with the turbo(when i turbn it up) vtec kicking in cant be extremely great? or does it make a difference,
the block is already as built as it can get i think,

can it be done? sure

if you want to "be different" like the rest of the internet- go ahead.

else, stick with a head like your b16 that can actually flow air.

Ls heads suck.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 9 2004, 07:15 AM
can it be done? sure

if you want to "be different" like the rest of the internet- go ahead.

else, stick with a head like your b16 that can actually flow air.

Ls heads suck.

It is not as bad as you think.

Read this post on HT. He was putting down great numbers with an all motor LS.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=784272&page=1

He was putting down 160 wtrq. You rearly ever see that figures from an All motor honda.

Really, if your building a performance engine, VTEC really is kinda a moot point. VTEC really is designed to let you have performance up high (bigger cam lobes), and driveable at lower RPMS. (Smaller, less lobey cam lobes) If your below VTEC on a VTEC engine while racing, you should be shifting. With headwork, the LS and a B16 head will flow the same, and will cost less.

By putting a LS head on shortblock (alot of people buy ITR shortblocks straight from honda like chet did) you could receive the same numbers. Really once in VTEC, your car is just like an LS with smilar cams.

The actual LS head is almost the same as a b16 head in terms of flow rate from the factory except that the LS has alot more inperfections causing it to flow like crap. The actual dementions are very similar so a PNP on both a b16 and LS will result is prettymuch the same flow rates.

so would it take down my performance anyway else then not having vtec? my block should be able to handle a little more boost right?

port&polished b18b head vs stock b16a jdm head?

Originally posted by hammerdgolfer@Mar 10 2004, 11:17 AM
so would it take down my performance anyway else then not having vtec? my block should be able to handle a little more boost right?

port&polished b18b head vs stock b16a jdm head?

if it's a decent port job it should outflow a stock b16 head.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 8 2004, 10:43 PM
the all motor signal crx ran a b16 bottom and I think an LS head..

I believe I heard of that awhile ago. Those Signal guys are crazy, but they did make it happen. :p

alot of reading i've done about purpose built evil ass drag hondas shows that VTEC at high rpm isn't as stable as singal stage cams. alot of guys use a VTEC head cause it flows better, but they then, in turn, disable the VTEC. Same idea as a ported non-VTEC head. I'd go with the LS head with a decent porting/polishing and all that stuff. besides, its probably a lil cheaper, and you wont get the funny change in sound. and the thing about runnin more or less boost. ...... there are slight advantages to higher compression with slightly less boost. you can work it to wear you have same top end power, but also have better low end by havin higher compression and lesser boost. also, for building the bottom end, check out these crazy ass kids http://www.dartonsleeves.com/ 900hp or 45psi which ever comes first.

^^^^^ all that means is that everything else in your engine will break before the sleeves. The sleeves breaking is NOT the only thing that can go wrong on a boosted engine. IT DOES NOT MEAN that you can actually boost 45 psi on just any build if it has darton sleeves.

btw, 25psi on a 10.5:1 CR is a friggin grenade. I'm not saying that it can't be done, because it can, its just going to be REALLY expensive and unreliable....and need to be reworked often.

If you haven't already read loco's article on boost make sure you read it...it should be pinned in the FA section

vtec hits in around 5k. how is that high rpm? its more internet bullshit.

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 8 2004, 07:43 PM
the all motor signal crx ran a b16 bottom and I think an LS head..

hmmmm i dont think so? i could be wrong but are you talking about the one that ran on ITBs? in that case i think it was a straight b16b BUT i believe it had the VTEC killer camshafts [like the one Ericks Racing uses]

:)

about the LS head on a b16 block? sounds too weird for me :shrugs: ??

but if you wanna do it, go for it

5k could be high rpm for some people. lol, deisel or big block. lol. either way, i meant it not as "internet crap" and i didn't say he could run that, just sayin that the sleeves wouldn't be a weak link and they are garunteed that high. wow, people take shit way out of context. and i'm willin to bet money i could build a 10.5:1 compression engine that ran 25psi for atleast 3 passes. hell i bet i can build somethin with 18:1 compression and a continuous 20lbs of boost. its called a cummings. Deisel that is. lol.

Make the descision for yourself.

take the valve cover off your b16 head, and an ls head next to it.
b16 head looks like a fine piece of art assembled by a japanese genius.
ls head looks like they let Mr. Honda's retarded nephew design something so that the kids at school didn't make fun of him for drooling on himself.

nuff said.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 9 2004, 10:23 AM
He was putting down 160 wtrq. You rearly ever see that figures from an All motor honda.

No worries here... I already made 152lbft on mine, and that was with a stock head...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back