crazy idea...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Was just thinking about other methods of forced induction and here is one idea I had, wondering if it would work.... here goes:

Get one of those smallish air compressors used for spraying and stuff, charge it up with air pressure via the mains outlet and pipe it into your inlet. Obviously sort out fuelling etc. Think it could supply enough air for a 1/4 mile?

those air compressors will probally not be big enough to supply the engine with enough air. for one they use small diameter hose to build up that much pressure. if you get a big enough tank(like fill up your back seat) it will probally work but it will be heavy as hell and lose pressure as it goes down the track.

and, since you cant vary you pressure anyways, it'll cause an issue. it'll hinder you at certain points.

this of it this way- most air tools use about 10 CFM.
it can drain a 50 gal compressor pretty fast.

a boosted motor uses about 600+ CFM

so, unless your canister is 3000 gallons, you're not going to have any reserve to do anything with.

The new Ford Lightning has a feature that uses the A/C to chill the air box to very low temperatures. It's not pressuized, but a manufaturer has faith that it works.

Or they have faith that it will get people to buy Lightnings over SRT-10s.

Originally posted by [Freemantle
,Aug 2 2004, 08:29 AM]
The new Ford Lightning has a feature that uses the A/C to chill the air box to very low temperatures. It's not pressuized, but a manufaturer has faith that it works.

Or they have faith that it will get people to buy Lightnings over SRT-10s.
[post=371377]Quoted post[/post]​

that has nothing to do with compressing. All that A/C thing is (very smart IMO) is A/C type lines that run throughout the intake and cool the air off, much like an intercooler. They have thought of this idea for years, but not until recently can they pull it off because the older AC systems were filled with toxic substance. If it ever leaked, EPA would have there ass.

Kay, how about this: Remove the electric motor from the compressor unit and connect a pulley wheel, this pulley wheel is then connected to the crankshaft like a supercharger and the outlet valve of the compressor cylinder connected to the intake on the car. You think the internals of the compressor would handle up to 6500rpm? Also do you think that the little piston inside would move as much air as a supercharger?

i dont think the compressor would handle those high speeds, plus if they did the small size of the outlet port(i think 1/4" is the biggest) would restrict it. what you have there is essentially a piston-type supercharger.

hahaha... this is great... hey, after you "hook" your compressor up, run a hose from your ass to the intake so you can fart more air into the engine.

i may be mistaken on this, but isn't 6500rpms retardedly slow for even a SC?

Originally posted by nismogod@Aug 3 2004, 04:16 PM
[post=372092]Quoted post[/post]​

considering that most turbochargers spin in the excess of 70,000 rpms... you're going to need some staggering gearing to pull that off, and you are still going to suffer form the same suckness that centrifugal compressors endure. Go buy some naws and don't hook your air tools up to your intake....

Originally posted by nismogod@Aug 3 2004, 04:16 PM
[post=372092]Quoted post[/post]​

yea 6500rpm is slow, but on air compressor that is fast. i think they run around 1000rpm or slower.

Originally posted by Franknstein@Aug 3 2004, 04:38 AM
Kay, how about this: Remove the electric motor from the compressor unit and connect a pulley wheel, this pulley wheel is then connected to the crankshaft like a supercharger and the outlet valve of the compressor cylinder connected to the intake on the car. You think the internals of the compressor would handle up to 6500rpm? Also do you think that the little piston inside would move as much air as a supercharger?
[post=371843]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, kinda been done. What they do is they remove the AC, run a merceades Kompressor supercharger in its place with a custom bracket and they run the belt off the crankpully slot where the old AC belt was. Basicly its nothing really diffrent then a normal supercharger, just its a diffrent place to mount and run it on a honda. There is a shop around me that makes the kit. I believe they call it the AK supercharger.

Back