Crazy Idea!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

Had the craziest Idea.

I'm going into the military as a mechanic and I plan on my free time to make some go-karts and such to gain more complete knowledge of building up a vehicle from scratch. Planning to purchase a Mid-Engine Chassis Frame from RACINGFAB motorsports in Texas in a few years and am gonna put a ZZ2 engine and tranny from an MR2 and then it hit me.

Be like that crazy dude that had a Twin-Engine Tiburon in SCC Magazine. From what I remember, both the trannies he had were automatic. So after my 3rd to 5th project track vehicles, i'll tackle the Twin Engine Idea.

ZZ2 MR2 Engine and Tranny in the rear, and a ZZ2 Celica Engine and Tranny in the front. This sounds like some guy's stupid dream, but as long as I have the motivation and determination, i'll make it work. And I know that buidling a couple Go-Karts will not prepare a person to build a Kit Car, let alone a custom track vehicle from nothing to something. So i'll toss in a few kit cars and custom track vehicles inbetween. But I'll put all my determination and free time in the twin-engine idea in a few years.

Hmmm, it'll only be for the track though. When I start the project I only plan on having only the bear-essentials. Frame, Suspension, Wheels & Tires, Engines, Transmissions, Gauge Cluster, Steering Wheel, Pedals, Roll Cage, Seats, Harnesses, Fire Extinguisher, Fuel Cells, Custom Body Panels and Lexan. I mean, although it's two engines and transmissions are heavy, it's not going to have all that extra weight of the other uneccessary gear you need that doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle's operation. It's not like i'm going to turn on the AC when I take it down the stretch right?

Although i've never designed a vehicle from scratch before, i'm going to do everything to design it for handling. Move the front engine behind the front axle, and mount the rear engine infront of the rear axle, so it'll be a true MR. Design the body for aerodynamics. Design a full Undertray, like Ferrari and Lambos. And wouldn't it be Bitchin' if I had the Exhaust pipes integrated into the rear bumper like a Pagani Zonda?

It'll be like Super Weight Reduction without having to take anything out.

Move the front engine behind the front axle, and mount the rear engine infront of the rear axle, so it'll be a true MR. Design the body for aerodynamics. Design a full Undertray, like Ferrari and Lambos. And wouldn't it be Bitchin' if I had the Exhaust pipes integrated into the rear bumper like a Pagani Zonda?

holy christ... please for the love of god put the crack pipe down...

this is a bit much for a shade tree mechanic to attempt...

and yea... bitchin is a good descriptor... for what you're gonna be doing after you destroyed a perfectly good car...

good luck i guess...

um, dude, u need to match the trannies, meaning you're going to have to use the same trannies other wise, one will be in low gear and the other in high, and the point of the twin engine will be useless, because it will act like you only have one engine pulling the other engine and tranny along.

um, dude, u need to match the trannies, meaning you're going to have to use the same trannies other wise, one will be in low gear and the other in high, and the point of the twin engine will be useless, because it will act like you only have one engine pulling the other engine and tranny along.

It may sound kind of crazy, but that sounds like a challenge I would like to take a shot at.

Hve you seen that video that loco posted up about the corolla? There is a twin engine car there. It gets walked hard by a turbo'd awd corolla.

And yeah you're going to have to synchronize the transmissions, unless you somehow use both engines to power one tranny.

THis idea is not new or innovative, but ghey.

It doesn't matter if it isn't new or innovative, it's a challenge. People that back off from a challenge and call it stupid are they themselves becoming stupid because thinking can be the hardest thing to do in the world and they do not lend themselves the efforts to even think or have ambition to do so.

Some people out there have lost the ability to have Big Dreams and Big Ambitions. But the problem with dreams is reality, but my reality is way different from a lot of you peeps, not that it's better, but it's headed in a different direction.

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Sep 22 2004, 07:35 PM
Some people out there have lost the ability to have Big Dreams and Big Ambitions. But the problem with dreams is reality, but my reality is way different from a lot of you peeps, not that it's better, but it's headed in a different direction.
[post=393650]Quoted post[/post]​

You're right. Then there's those of us who understand the logistics involved, and are thankful that 15 year olds don't design cars.

You're all talk. This idea will never come to fruition. Just shut up now before you sound like more of a dumbass.

That's all I can do until it comes to fruition. That's all anyone can do until they actually do the things they say.

Free will, i know i'll get it to work. Am I supposed to listen to cheap and tacky people all my life and downgrade my spirit just because some people don't believe it can be done?

You don't just engineer a one-off car from nowhere. I hope you have a lot of engineering and fabrication buddies that are willing to work for beer, because Pinafarina doesn't work for you unless you have a million dollars in your pocket. If you do it yourself, good luck, I hope your project doesn't fall apart. I'd recommend, just go with a MR setup and run methanol and insane CR's, if you want insane hp. dual powerplants are for planes, trains, and boats, not cars. People that build dual engine cars do it to show off their enormous engineering egos, not because it is practical. but good luck if you follow through.

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Sep 23 2004, 12:10 AM
Am I supposed to listen to cheap and tacky people all my life and downgrade my spirit just because some people don't believe it can be done?
[post=393742]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes.

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Sep 22 2004, 11:10 PM
That's all I can do until it comes to fruition. That's all anyone can do until they actually do the things they say.

Free will, i know i'll get it to work. Am I supposed to listen to cheap and tacky people all my life and downgrade my spirit just because some people don't believe it can be done?
[post=393742]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm far from cheap and tacky. I'm high dollar and cutting edge. Need I post pics of my car to pove this? Regardless, you're all talk. How are you going to go about shifting? How are you going to...? Oh fuck it. Go for it. I'll bet everything I have that you will NEVER build a two engined car, all by yourself, from the ground up. Why? Because once you're smart enough to pull it off, you'll realize that there's better, more cost effective ways to make power and put it down. Shut the fuck up and quit wasting our time. Yes, I'm hating. Because you don't have a clue. Consider me your wakeup call. This "OMG, I'm going to put an R34 Skyline driveline in my Festiva" bullshit doesn't fly here. We're smarter than that. Go back to SuperHonda or CSI or fucktardswap.com or wherever you came from.

:yes:
i'm not sure if you think this is great idea because you feel like you're being original, but it's been done, as you stated yourself- And that guy didn't just have stock motors in the front and back- THey were both blown and both drinking methanol- quite frankly, the money, time and engineering involved make this project completely stupid- If you want to go fast, take 1/4 the money you're spending on this project and build yourself a serious motor-

but if you're stubborn enough to actually pretend you're actually going to try this, I hope you have lots and lots and lots of money, knowledge and time- and you're more than likely going to need more than military mechanics to pull this one off homie- this ain't changing an oil filter on yer moms windstar- i think you're really biting off more than you or most of us can chew, just by thinking you might make this idea work

Back