Crazy Idea!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Sep 22 2004, 11:10 PM
That's all I can do until it comes to fruition. That's all anyone can do until they actually do the things they say.

Free will, i know i'll get it to work. Am I supposed to listen to cheap and tacky people all my life and downgrade my spirit just because some people don't believe it can be done?
[post=393742]Quoted post[/post]​

okay, first question...are you a good welder...hell, do you know how to weld? IF your answer is a no...then i am going to have to agree with loco...

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Sep 23 2004, 12:10 AM-->
YangpaNemsay
@Sep 22 2004, 11:10 PM
That's all I can do until it comes to fruition. That's all anyone can do until they actually do the things they say.

Free will, i know i'll get it to work. Am I supposed to listen to cheap and tacky people all my life and downgrade my spirit just because some people don't believe it can be done?
[post=393742]Quoted post[/post]​

This "OMG, I'm going to put an R34 Skyline driveline in my Festiva" bullshit doesn't fly here.
[post=393798]Quoted post[/post]​

What's wrong with the festiva? They look so good in the junk yard. :lmao:

I'm far from cheap and tacky. I'm high dollar and cutting edge.

When I meant cheap and tacky, I didn't mean the vehicle you drive. I meant negative comments that don't do anything but try and bring a person down. Of course Military Mechanics won't give enough technical know-how to build your own vehicle from scratch. I know that. The vehicle is going to be a crazy track toy, not in any way a street car. Now with the issue about the money, just wait and see. Stubbornness can be a good thing if used properly and not immaturley. Yes a twin-engine car from scratch does sound crazy/over the top/not-cost-effective-in-any-way/waste of a lot of money you could use to buy something worth having, but it's one of those things you put in the dream category, like when you were a little kid and wanted to be an Astronaut. It's something that doesn't seem to have a "set-price" and people stubborn enough to go for things in their "dream category" have something called determination that drives them. It's what seperates the really great people from the rest of the crowd. People with determination. Whether if it's standing up for the geeky kid in junior high that got picked by the bullys or going for your dream, they are determined people.

dude... no..... seriously... no...... uhhh no..... I think I did but in case I didnt already say it.... NO!

cool idea... maybe... but mr2 motors.... FUCK THAT!!... I have a WAAY better idea for you.... hold on to all that money for a while...

seriously... the 2 motor idea has been done... and not only by the people in the SCC article.... you want to be original.... go put a SBC in the back of a mini cooper.... :D.... you might be able to hold on.....

cool idea... maybe... but mr2 motors.... FUCK THAT!!... I have a WAAY better idea for you.... hold on to all that money for a while...

Thanks for the WAAY better idea, but no.

It's not to be "original", it's to be closer to unique. Although twin-engines has not been the most orignial idea, it's the vision. Having something that most people won't work or bother to attain. Who wouldn't like having a little fun in a twin-engine car on a race track. The fact of the matter is it maybe too hard for some people to even bother to make. Sure it'll take a few years of hard work and well-earned cash to dump into the project, but it's a project nonetheless. People like building projects, some people like the harder ones over the easier ones. Some are just fine with how their car is right now, or they'd like to tune it a little more, and some people are just over the top of the norm of thinking. Ambition and Vision.

Look up a company called "Parradine" and a company called "Wolfrace". Also, Zender made a twin engine concept car a while back.

It's been done, and done well.

Bill Mitchell put an engine, mid mounted, in a 1977 Camaro and it worked pretty well. Also, twin engine cars are a common joke-project in northern Europe.

-> Steve

i think there are a whole lot more factors that come into play than you may realize...i thought about doing this only with some sort of a hatch car but once i sat down and thought about it, its not worth it at all.

heres a few things you might want to think about...

how do you plan to shift the trannys?
how do you plan to syncronize the the motors/trannys? if one motor is turning even slightly faster than the other then thats just a completely wasted motor and all it is is extra weight.
how do you plan to supply fuel?
what are you going to lay the fram out on? pen and paper dont woek unless your a good draftsman. i got 99% in 4 semesters of honors drafting and wouldnt even take on the task.
how about all this bending, measuring, welding, measuring, notching, measureing, and oh yea...measuring?
you know to make everything as triangulated as possible right?
what kind of metal will you use?
if you use anything decent (cromoly or DOM) you know your gonna need a TIG welder right?
have you priced metal lately? japan screwed everyone on that one.
trottle?
clutch?

and these are just a VERY few things to take into account. there are countless other things such as suspension, how your going to mold or shape the body depending on what you plan to use (glass or metal).

im not trying to put your idea down as others have said its been done and made to work pretty damn good. tho i do think its a little more than you or anyone on this board for that matter could handle. im just trying to to put the ordeal into prospective. every year manufactures as well as independant racers spend countless hundreds of thousands of dollars on up into the millions(a piece) trying to devlope new and cutting edge race cars. even if you did all the work yourself...you better be ready to dump damn near 100 grand in this project dog...

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Sep 27 2004, 04:37 PM
100 grand ain't nothing.
[post=395386]Quoted post[/post]​

where the fuck do you work? i dont know very many sports players that are going into the millitary. unless daddys payin... :roll:

okay, seriously, do you have any welding skills? and 100 grand aint nothing? i seriously hope you are not willing to spend 100 grand on a twin engine car just because you want to be innovative. you could buy a house for 100 grand...jeeeez...because if you are willing to spend that much on a project, than you're dumber than i thought.

Originally posted by Hellbert@Sep 25 2004, 10:15 PM
i think there are a whole lot more factors that come into play than you may realize...i thought about doing this only with some sort of a hatch car but once i sat down and thought about it, its not worth it at all.

how do you plan to syncronize the the motors/trannys? if one motor is turning even slightly faster than the other then thats just a completely wasted motor and all it is is extra weight.
what are you going to lay the fram out on? pen and paper dont woek unless your a good draftsman. i got 99% in 4 semesters of honors drafting and wouldnt even take on the task.
how about all this bending, measuring, welding, measuring, notching, measureing, and oh yea...measuring?
if you use anything decent (cromoly or DOM) you know your gonna need a TIG welder right?
trottle?
clutch?

and these are just a VERY few things to take into account. there are countless other things such as suspension, how your going to mold or shape the body depending on what you plan to use (glass or metal).

im not trying to put your idea down as others have said its been done and made to work pretty damn good. tho i do think its a little more than you or anyone on this board for that matter could handle. im just trying to to put the ordeal into prospective. every year manufactures as well as independant racers spend countless hundreds of thousands of dollars on up into the millions(a piece) trying to devlope new and cutting edge race cars. even if you did all the work yourself...you better be ready to dump damn near 100 grand in this project dog...
[post=394725]Quoted post[/post]​

if he uses automatics on both, and uses a single computer with a relay bank, then as far as the computer is concerned its only running one engine, and each engine would think its the only thing being operated. Voltage wise atleast. Also, this would eliminate the clutch issue. i wouldn't even want to think about how involved a 2 engine with a pair of manual transmissions would be.

i honestly think fuel wouldn't be the largest of my concerns. that one is slightly easier to address.

by no means am i saying this is a "good starter project" nor am i saying its impossible. it will be very difficult, and very drawn out and also quite expensive. but if homey wants to do it, let em. shit, i thought about the idea with a pair of h22s in a hatch or somthing. but then i decided if i wanted to spend the money, i'd spend it on something like an R32 GT-R skyline that already has AWD, and a badass engine that has potential.

either way, whether you choose to do this or not. Make sure you realize whats involved before you get into it, cause its a shitty thing to scrap cause you get frustrated. dont let the other people discourage you to much, they are more or less being assholes cause they dont want to see you waste your time and money.

Originally posted by nismogod+Sep 28 2004, 05:53 AM-->
@Sep 25 2004, 10:15 PM

trottle?
clutch?

[post=394725]Quoted post[/post]​

if he uses automatics on both, and uses a single computer with a relay bank, then as far as the computer is concerned its only running one engine, and each engine would think its the only thing being operated. Voltage wise atleast. Also, this would eliminate the clutch issue. i wouldn't even want to think about how involved a 2 engine with a pair of manual transmissions would be.

i honestly think fuel wouldn't be the largest of my concerns. that one is slightly easier to address.

by no means am i saying this is a "good starter project" nor am i saying its impossible. it will be very difficult, and very drawn out and also quite expensive. but if homey wants to do it, let em. shit, i thought about the idea with a pair of h22s in a hatch or somthing. but then i decided if i wanted to spend the money, i'd spend it on something like an R32 GT-R skyline that already has AWD, and a badass engine that has potential.

either way, whether you choose to do this or not. Make sure you realize whats involved before you get into it, cause its a shitty thing to scrap cause you get frustrated. dont let the other people discourage you to much, they are more or less being assholes cause they dont want to see you waste your time and money.
[post=395685]Quoted post[/post]​

i was more less throwing stuff out that needs to be thought about befor this whole deal can be done. an automatic transmition would be the better way to tackle the project but what kind of "race car" doesnt have a manual transmition (go ahead and name off all the ones that arent i know yall want to...its a hypathetical statement...). after guy talks about 100 grand being nothing... i cant wait to see this car when its done in HE actually builds it...

Back