Crazy Tach and speedo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kermit5327

Ok so when i turn my car on ( not started) my tach and speedo will go all the way to max and then back down. then my speedo will jump up to 60 a few times and then stop. what could this be

well i'd wait for a few of the HS heavies to weigh in. i don't know much but that's my gut feeling. you got a book for your car?

some were but i cant find the damn thing and i could really use it right now cuz im doing a head swap on it lol and i dont think im gonna get to far with out it

tach controlled by distributor - make sure it is tight - check the rotor in it maybe - or replace it - as far as speedo - if it does it after changing the dizzy you might check the VSS on your transmission - and check all connections/grounds...I doubt it is cluster or wiring but I could be wrong.

never thought of it being the vss since the car wasnt started but ill check it out thanks

first thing to check is your fuses, alt, fuse,.but if there good, and the car runs fine its prolly a bad vss

Last edited:
well it it only does it when you first cut the key on then is ok the rest of the time it might be the gauge cluster its self, but i wouldnt worry with it, until it does it while your driving

first thing to check is your fuses, alt, fuse,.but if there good, and the car runs fine its prolly a bad vss

My answer exactly. Make sure the correct rated amperage fuses are being used or else too much/little current will flow through the circuit and cause problems. If all is well there, test the alternator output against oem specs/alldata specs. From there, it is usually your VSS (speed sensor) or hardware associated; wiring, connectors etc.

If its not any of those, than the cluster is posessed. :D

Back