Cross Drilled vs. Slotted which is better???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bl6CRX

i think the topic make its clear, which is better as far as rotors go, cross drilled or slotted, or what are the pro's/cons of each???

Blanks are the best. More surface area with which to stop with.

BUT if you are set on getting one or the other of these, go with slotted, less material removed then cross drilled.

Cross drilling weakens the rotor and provides far less stopping power then blanks and less then slotted.

yeah, i was actually looking around and i decided that i don't want either, i just saw a set on ebay for cheap as hell, but now after a little more info, i see its a waste

i think the idea about cross drilled and slotted has to do with heat and needing to get rid of it.......if you know what i mean, kinda like heat sink on an amp

my auto tech teacher told me the drilled rotors are for drag racers and actually intentionally reduce contact area to reduce chance of wheel lock from high speed breaking, and are not for cooling(that is what the vents are for).
im guessing slotted rotors are so the pads will bite gradually and not all at once, or something of that nature.

Originally posted by NoJokE@Dec 20 2003, 11:14 PM
Blanks are the best. More surface area with which to stop with.

BUT if you are set on getting one or the other of these, go with slotted, less material removed then cross drilled.

Cross drilling weakens the rotor and provides far less stopping power then blanks and less then slotted.

Your correct but that surface area also creates more heat and makes it harder to get rid of the gases that build up from over heating. Cross-Drilled and/or slotted rotors can give u better stopping power because they remain cooler. If there were useless and a waste of money, ferrari and porsche wouldn't use them on all there cars. But make sure u get a quality rotor

Originally posted by MXDesa@Dec 21 2003, 10:36 AM
Your correct but that surface area also creates more heat and makes it harder to get rid of the gases that build up from over heating. Cross-Drilled and/or slotted rotors can give u better stopping power because they remain cooler. If there were useless and a waste of money, ferrari and porsche wouldn't use them on all there cars. But make sure u get a quality rotor

You are right too, to a certain extent. Ferrari and Porsche use them because 1) At 180+ miles an hour heat DOES build up very quickly(your Honda isnt gonna see 180 on the street), 2) they also have 13+ inch rotors and 4 pot calipers, so what they lose in surface area they make up by having huge rotors and excellent clamping.

So for a street Honda, get some blanks, unless you do some hardcore road course and/or endurance events.

Originally posted by UDT@Dec 21 2003, 10:30 AM
i think the idea about cross drilled and slotted has to do with heat and needing to get rid of it.......if you know what i mean, kinda like heat sink on an amp

:no:

cross drilling is for weight reduction

slotting is to shave off any glazing from the surface of the pad

my auto tech teacher told me the drilled rotors are for drag racers and actually intentionally reduce contact area to reduce chance of wheel lock from high speed breaking, and are not for cooling(that is what the vents are for).
im guessing slotted rotors are so the pads will bite gradually and not all at once, or something of that nature.

once again...
drag racers are all about weight reduction...
lighter rotors = less rotational mass = faster acceleration = better times

slotted rotors are for eliminateing glazing of the pads

dont want gasses building up under hard braking???? dont get shity pads
GOOD pads will not gas out on you
cross drilling is about weight reduction... porsche and ferrari use them because they are using HUGE ass rotors (13 inches or bigger) if those were solid they would be heavy as fuck

You are right too, to a certain extent. Ferrari and Porsche use them because 1) At 180+ miles an hour heat DOES build up very quickly(your Honda isnt gonna see 180 on the street), 2) they also have 13+ inch rotors and 4 pot calipers, so what they lose in surface area they make up by having huge rotors and excellent clamping.

So for a street Honda, get some blanks, unless you do some hardcore road course and/or endurance events.

its not about heat its about weight
but you are correct the size of their rotors more than makes up for the loss in surface area

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 21 2003, 03:06 PM

It IS partly because of heat, it does let it vent better(this is only beneficial when you are racing for extended periods of time, again NOT for a street Honda). Most aftermarket pads have heat ranges, and if you are running cooler then what their heat range is, your braking are gonna feel like shit. If it didnt have to about heat, blank rotors wouldnt have the slots in between both of the sides. Cross drilling is for both weight AND heat.

Originally posted by NoJokE+Dec 21 2003, 04:59 PM-->
@Dec 21 2003, 03:06 PM

It IS partly because of heat, it does let it vent better(this is only beneficial when you are racing for extended periods of time, again NOT for a street Honda). Most aftermarket pads have heat ranges, and if you are running cooler then what their heat range is, your braking are gonna feel like shit. If it didnt have to about heat, blank rotors wouldnt have the slots in between both of the sides. Cross drilling is for both weight AND heat.

if you think about the vents and the location of the holes then you would see air wouldnt really circulate through the holes; still comes in from inside and comes out on outside.

did you even bother reading anything that was already said in this post?????

Why the hell are any of you talking about outgassing? Todays carbon metallic pads contain NO organic material, therefore producing NO gas. Cross drilled rotors are a byproduct of '30's technology when brake pads and shoes were made out of leather. Cross drilled rotors crack. Slotted rotors wear pads. Proper bedding and pad selection will eliminate glazing. The reason Porsche and Ferrari use them is hype. Everyone, including everyone in this thread, thinks that cross drilled rotors = high performance. That's total and utter bullshit.

1) Cross drilled rotors have less swept area.

2) Cross drilled rotors have less surface area to absorb heat.

3) Cross drilled rotors have less mass to dissipate heat.

4) Cross drilled rotors crack and break (seen it twice at open track days).

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jan 3 2004, 08:54 PM
Why the hell are any of you talking about outgassing? Todays carbon metallic pads contain NO organic material, therefore producing NO gas. Cross drilled rotors are a byproduct of '30's technology when brake pads and shoes were made out of leather. Cross drilled rotors crack. Slotted rotors wear pads. Proper bedding and pad selection will eliminate glazing. The reason Porsche and Ferrari use them is hype. Everyone, including everyone in this thread, thinks that cross drilled rotors = high performance. That's total and utter bullshit.

1) Cross drilled rotors have less swept area.

2) Cross drilled rotors have less surface area to absorb heat.

3) Cross drilled rotors have less mass to dissipate heat.

4) Cross drilled rotors crack and break (seen it twice at open track days).

:sleep: HOLD ON! THATS IMPOSIBLE to not have any gas when friction and heat is preasent. Not every brake pad is carbon metallic. I think my instructor and An A.S.E book would just make up stuff. GAS FADE is when a very small "pocket" forms between the friction material and the rotor.THat is why slotted rotors are directional. to basicaly fan the gas away. thats why some tires are directional because if you reverse the the will suck in water instead of tread ther water out. WATER FADE is the the same only with water.
The main brins of brakes is to create heat. THAT IS HOW THEY WORK! FRICTION=HEAT and FRICTION MEANS STOPPING. AS A MATTER OF FACT MY INSTRUCTOR TELLS ME THAT DIPPLED ROTORS ARE THE BEST, lESS FADE, MORE SURFACE AREA.

Back