Crower 403's.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

korey

Alright, so I was looking to get crower 403 cams for my N/A Ls motor. On the website, it says that for this cam, their titanium retainer and spring kit is required. I was wondering if I HAD to get their kit or if I could buy these peices from another manufacturer ( I wanted a full Skunk2 valve train) Let me know what the deal is, thanx guys.

crower makes EXCELENT stuff
why bother wasting your money on skunk??

I didnt know that, this is just what I had envisioned in my head. I actually have no experience other than from what I read. Thanx for the info. I will probably get the crower kit then. But just in case, could someone answer my original question? Thanx again for the info.

you could probly use them with no problem .... but there is no telling if the spring rates will be quite right for the crower cams... if its off you risk either valve float or cam wear... both are not good

You could just get the dual valvespring kit. TI retainers tend to wear faster than the stock ones, and need to be watched and replaced more often.

I put my kit in two weeks ago, and can confirm for sure that the stock retainers work with crowers dual springs.

I have the 403s with portflow retainers, portflow inner valve springs and ITR outers. been running this setup more than a year and a half. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by StyleTEG@Feb 9 2004, 08:58 AM
You could just get the dual valvespring kit. TI retainers tend to wear faster than the stock ones, and need to be watched and replaced more often.

I put my kit in two weeks ago, and can confirm for sure that the stock retainers work with crowers dual springs.

Ti retainers wear faster? i dont think i agree with that?

but to answer the original questions, NO you do not have to get the crower kit, just make sure you let the suppliers of the valve springs that you will be using crower 403 cams...

personally im using the 63403 all motor drag race profile cams, with portflow dual race valve springs and Ti retainers...

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Feb 9 2004, 09:43 PM
Ti retainers wear faster? i dont think i agree with that?

crowers and skunk2 retainers both remove material from the roof of the retainer to save weight which is not a structurally sound design. they use a aluminum/titanuim metal. it creates forces that will eventually fatigue near the second tier and separate from the outer valvespring over 15000 miles. portflow uses a aircraft grade Ti for thier retainer with a stock shape (flat on top) that is more beneficial towards being structurally sound. The forces are distributed more evenly across the retainer that way. FYI even then, they also need work done to them like mentioned to maintain a near stock functionality and dependability. Take the crowers out.

I think I stated these last points before but here they are for the record (search) again. I don't use Ti retainers on my street engine...stock ones...with Toda cams and a 9300 rpm redline. I haven't run the engine hot enough to need them...as I do more lapping events in the future, I may decide to switch but I haven't done so to date. TITANIUM IS A SOFTER ALLOY. Why do you think we don't recommend ti valves, rods, and exhausts around here?....

In general they do wear faster. There are some companies that design them better than others, but be warned.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 10 2004, 02:07 AM
im not selling shit.

Ti wears faster.

:lol: , it looked like a quote from the portflow website.

Back