Crower Cams On y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sabi670

Has anyone had any experience with crower cam on their y8?? I just put one in on my y8 swap and checked the clearances, but they are still loud as heck. Your experiences/opinions please....

I havent gotten to run this set up yet, need to set timing on the cam. But Ive had the same setup on a b18b before Sleeper, and I have to say that those 403s kick ass! My b18 pulled way hard from bout 3000 to 8000rpm. Especially if you have cam gears and play with the timing a little. When I had the int cam advanced a little (2-4degrees) the sucker gave a hell of a top end rush! But I mostly drove it around at 0-0 because it idled and sounded just like stock like that. IMO get the head pnp, and a valve job before putting the cam. You'll get a way bigger increase than by just going headwork alone or cam alone.

I didnt upgrade the springs/retainers like you are planning on, though I would if I had a bottom end that could handle more than 8krpm. My results on the b18b, My trap speeds in the 1/4 went from around 87-89 to avg 94.9, best 95.3. I raced a type R with AEM CAI/DC 4-1/Apexi N1 and he killed me off the line by like 1.5 carlengths and then pulled about another .5 carlength on me the rest of the way. (My car: 94ls, full interior, stereo, sub, spare, rain tires(that sucked), NO LSD., I/H/E.)

As far as loud is concerned: The 403s on my teg sounded just like stock, you couldnt tell they were aftermarket. Even my mechanic at the shop that did my engine work was impressed. They said they were gonna switch their cams to Crowers cause they didnt have to do anything to my car, simple bolt in @TDC, set the lash, and it started on first try. But the cam on my y8swap (Crower 401s) are definately loud as heck. My buddy helping me out thought there was something wrong, and even I have to say they are very loud compared to stock cams. I dont know the exact db level increase but they are very audible even w/ hood closed.
Is that normal?

The noise sounds like the clearances are too big or something like that. Like the cam is slapping up against the rockers.....? Rather than engaging smoothly...

checked the clearances, they were a little off, but the cam was still loud after adjusting....

Back