1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruise Control on stock 91

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by alexfleury, Sep 24, 2012.

1. alexfleury

alexfleury New Member

Hope I am posting in the correct forum. I did try the search function and didn't find anything useful yet. I have a 91 4 door. the cruise control has always worked but after going to the shop for them to troubleshoot the auto seat belts, now the cruise doesn't work. They found that a previous owner had just disconnected everything associated with the belts and afer hooking it all back up the belts work fine. But now the cruise doesn't work :(

What are the most common failures for Cruise? If it is the control module, where is it located? I can't find a fuse listed for this function. Is there a separate fuse for Cruise? If it is an electronic failure is the control module expensive? Should I be able to find a used one here?

Can anyone give me any helpful hints about how to troubleshoot this problem? The "Cruise" light on the dash comes on. I have checked the switch on the clutch pedal. What else can I check?

Thanks guys, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Alex j_alexfleury@yahoo.com

2. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

if the cruise light on the dash is on, and the clutch switch (which is just a kill switch basiacally) seems to function, I'd check the actual unit itself. it's usually on the drivers side near the shock tower. Looks like a black box with a vac line or 2 running to it. make sure all those vac lines are hooked up and not leaking. you might want to test voltages there to the harness as well. I don't have diagnosis info available but if you have a manual for your car it may provide some guidance in this regard.
    As far as the fuse, its possible that it shares a fuse with another item or two under the hood.

3. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

I would take it back to the shop. You paid them to do a job. Cruise worked when you dropped it off, it should work when you pick it up.

4. alexfleury

alexfleury New Member

Thanks y'all

Slushbox, my mechanic is a good guy and gives me a lot of breaks. If it is something I can fix I will try that first. but you are right. I just hope I can find something simple that might be unplugged.

I have NO idea what a used box would cost. I'l bet people here have some that have been removed. any idea what a fair price would be?

5. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Maybe $25? there really isn't a huge re-sale to those as many people rip them out when modding.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted