Cruise Control on stock 91

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alexfleury

Hope I am posting in the correct forum. I did try the search function and didn't find anything useful yet. I have a 91 4 door. the cruise control has always worked but after going to the shop for them to troubleshoot the auto seat belts, now the cruise doesn't work. They found that a previous owner had just disconnected everything associated with the belts and afer hooking it all back up the belts work fine. But now the cruise doesn't work :(

What are the most common failures for Cruise? If it is the control module, where is it located? I can't find a fuse listed for this function. Is there a separate fuse for Cruise? If it is an electronic failure is the control module expensive? Should I be able to find a used one here?

Can anyone give me any helpful hints about how to troubleshoot this problem? The "Cruise" light on the dash comes on. I have checked the switch on the clutch pedal. What else can I check?

Thanks guys, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Alex j_alexfleury@yahoo.com

if the cruise light on the dash is on, and the clutch switch (which is just a kill switch basiacally) seems to function, I'd check the actual unit itself. it's usually on the drivers side near the shock tower. Looks like a black box with a vac line or 2 running to it. make sure all those vac lines are hooked up and not leaking. you might want to test voltages there to the harness as well. I don't have diagnosis info available but if you have a manual for your car it may provide some guidance in this regard.
As far as the fuse, its possible that it shares a fuse with another item or two under the hood.

I would take it back to the shop. You paid them to do a job. Cruise worked when you dropped it off, it should work when you pick it up.

Thanks y'all

Slushbox, my mechanic is a good guy and gives me a lot of breaks. If it is something I can fix I will try that first. but you are right. I just hope I can find something simple that might be unplugged.

I have NO idea what a used box would cost. I'l bet people here have some that have been removed. any idea what a fair price would be?

Maybe $25? there really isn't a huge re-sale to those as many people rip them out when modding.

Back