cruise doesnt work

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

marshbotany

Marshbotany
i have a 88 teg ls that the cruise control doesnt work. when i had a mechanic weld my clutch fork arm together he took a look at the hook-up and said it was all in order. i was thinking it could be on the steering wheel or on the switch. The switch wont light up when pushed after the car is started but if it is pushed in b4 i start it, the switch will be lit up but the cruise still doesnt engage.

88 teg huh, that's a little old for my expertise, but I will tell you what I do know about honda cruise systems.
You need all of these things to work for your cruise to work:
clutch switch
vehicle speed sensor
brake switch (may or may not be seperate from your brake light switch)
power to the cruise control system
working cruise control unit and cable.
if youcan get the power to come on when you push the button, but cannot get the cruise to engage it is usually a failure with the clutch switch, VSS or the brake switch, reason being that if the clutch is pushed, or the brake is pushed, then it cancells the cruise system.
if the VSS is not working then the cruise unit has no idea how fast the vehicle is going, so therefore cannot keep it at that speed.
I checked my alldata and it doesn't give any hints or any information at all as where to start, jsut a list of componants, which are basically what I gave you above.

Back