cruising at 3k rpms

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

back in black

Alright first of all. The LS/vtec was being built for racing before i bought it. So my problem is that when i take it for a spin its at 3k rpm's in 5th gear and i'm going 50mph! Not only that, it also gets higher as the speed goes up.
my question is. Is there something i can do to "tune" or adjust so i dont burn the motor up?

Also there is grindage in 3rd gear past 4 rpms. Can i save my tranny or does this mean i have to get a new one? (B16a lsd tranny)
:eek:
I need help please reply with suggestions!

b16 trannys have a very high final drive, so they are going to make the engine rev alot. Only thing you can do is swap out the fifth gear for an LS fifth gear of go with an b18a tranny.

You might be able to repair your tranny. Since 3rd is starting to grind I would get is taken care of as soon as you can. It goog to catch these early to minamize damage. While you were there if you want a better cruising speed to the LS 5th gear swap like asmallsol suggested.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 14 2005, 01:29 PM
b16 trannys have a very high final drive, so they are going to make the engine rev alot. Only thing you can do is swap out the fifth gear for an LS fifth gear of go with an b18a tranny.
[post=460723]Quoted post[/post]​

no they dont. they have 4.4 like every other tranny, well MOST other trannies. its the actual gear ratios that make it so short.

thanks guys. how much should i be looking to get charged?
for the ls fifth gear and grinding noise?

ill do it for you if your in the tristate.

For another trans...500-1.2k
Installation, shop 400+, HS'er 200 probably, i'd do it if i can have the trans.

hey nice to here from all you guys again
anyway lets see.. you want to trade your tranny and 100 boners for my tranny? sounds good. let me think about it a liitle though.
Wh ;) ere are you located

ok honeslty, will i mess up my car if i use it as a daily driver? Not going on the highway or anything but just cruise at speed limit.

you shouldnt have any problem just driving it..

My trans needs a differential, so it would cost you like another 375 for LSD or like 100 for a stock replacement.

It does still move the car, slips at 5k, and you have to rev it up a bit in any gear to get it going and makes the most annoying, headache making noises from it.

It's not worth you taking my trans unless you wanted to fix it, which I will eventually..if i keep it but I'm not taking it out till I get another one or someone actually wants to trade.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Feb 14 2005, 11:02 AM
oh
trans rebuild...i wont do.

But 500+ to rebuild it probably
[post=460758]Quoted post[/post]​

well i just drove around and rebuilding is out of the question. From what the guy who bought it from told me was that this tranny cost alot of dough. Well i cant use on the street so i guess i have to sell or trade.

hey civicb18b1, thanks for the offer but im looking not to have any more headaches. This tranny doesnt grind under normal conditions, just when you want to step on the gas. And man does this thing fly! Rumor has it this car ran a 14.1. Is that pretty good for a stock ls/vtec?.

if you want mine, i'll trade ya if your is hydro.

OR I'd give ya 400 for it :p

thanks for the offer man but this is the only one i have so i'll keep it for now. If i find another tranny to put in . I'll sell it to ya .

Back