CRV AWD into a '95 Civ 4dr?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chrono404

I have recently (just today) Gotten my hands on a '95 Honda Civic Ex 4dr Sedan. The car currently has a Automatic D16z6(stock running gear). What I want to do is put the AWD from the CRV into the 4dr.

My plan is to get a wrecked awd crv, then use its Tranny(duh) and AWD systems. I have read that the Crv Trannys wear geared low, So I will be taking a LS's 5th gear and put into the AWD CRV Tanny.
I will also use its B20, Eventually converting it to a CRvtec, that or just turboing it

I know quite alot of fabricating will have to be done to get the axles to fit and probally have to cut/splice the rear drive line. I have access to a full metal shop and therefore be able to fabricate what is needed.
As I sure you will ask "WTF!?! Why the **** do you want to make your Civic AWD?" Well I am moving to Montreal, Quebec fall of '08. And theres alot of snow up there. That and I want to be able to pull of sideways drifts in the snow, as well as have the extra traction and take off it will give me.EDIT: I have decided not to do the swap as Where I am moving (Montreal, QC) They use salt by the the truck load. Therefore My car and its freshly cut/welded body parts would rust then die. I will do a much more common setup such as H22a Swap or an LSvtec.

Last edited:
Well, it will be a LOT of work, and even more time spent doing it. I'll say this one thing: you had better enjoy BUILDING it more than you enjoy driving it. Because in the end, when you are done, you will have built something that performs at or below the level of a stock AWD car. The only satisfaction you'll recieve is from doing the work yourself and driving something unique. If you just need an AWD vehicle there are better options.

If you are worried about getting stuck in the snow and want an awd car you might as well go buy a wrx or another subaru or just a stock crv because it will be MUCH cheaper and easier. Then build your civic fwd. Plus after all that work you are just going to drive it in the snow/salt which is going to rust it out in no time beceause of all the cutting/splicing/welding.

I never thought about the salt. In Washington we don't use salt. I will be in contact with some friends in Montreal and see about if they use salt, if so I will have to rethink my plans. Thanks for the thought.

And kalph posted in thred. Awesome. He is like a god here his build is awesome.

I will be thinking about this and worst case sincero I put a h22a in.

I never thought about the salt. In Washington we don't use salt. I will be in contact with some friends in Montreal and see about if they use salt, if so I will have to rethink my plans. Thanks for the thought.

And kalph posted in thred. Awesome. He is like a god here his build is awesome.

I will be thinking about this and worst case sincero I put a h22a in.

Ya man up here in Canaduh they like to use salt and lots of it. Up in Montreal they would have a pretty long winter too so they would be using for much longer.

Its funny going from norther ontario/quebec to southern ontario the difference in the amount of rusted out vehicles is HUGE! My parents live in Northern ontario, oil spray their car every year (its a 2000 civic sedan) and it is all rusty already.

Ya man up here in Canaduh they like to use salt and lots of it. Up in Montreal they would have a pretty long winter too so they would be using for much longer.

Its funny going from norther ontario/quebec to southern ontario the difference in the amount of rusted out vehicles is HUGE! My parents live in Northern ontario, oil spray their car every year (its a 2000 civic sedan) and it is all rusty already.

:eek:
I talked with my freinds in Montreal(txtin ftw) and as you said they use salt "by the butt load" to quote him" :(

I guess this changes my plans. I dont want to make a awd beast and then have it rust away. I will post what I looked up and what to do and not to do that I found on the internet for people who plan on doing this.

Looks like I will H22a my 4dr, take that and buy a pos for a winter car in montreal.

It would be far cheaper to import a jdm integra or civic four wheel drive. They came stock with d16y8's and had awd.

I dont think it will be possible being that your eg chassis is uni-body and the cr-v is not. Ive seen an 89 crx with the 87 awd wagon 4wd setup in it turbocharged... was pretty cool too. but than again thats a uni-body framed suspension/driveaxle into a uni-body frame.

I dont think it will be possible being that your eg chassis is uni-body and the cr-v is not. Ive seen an 89 crx with the 87 awd wagon 4wd setup in it turbocharged... was pretty cool too. but than again thats a uni-body framed suspension/driveaxle into a uni-body frame.

With enough work it would have worked. You would put the drive line where the exhaust is hung. Then weld everything else into place. It would have been alot of work, however it is possible. However I have decided ageist it, as where I am moving it would rust super fast. I posted this after the orignal post. Which I will edit after posting this.

Back