CRV Got Cataract Surgery, Cloudy Hazed Headlights

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Used a mother's headlight restoration kit.
Ended up preferring to to wet-sand with 1000, 2000, 3000 by hand, and then using the buffering pad and polish with the drill. (Kit comes with sand paper discs in 800, 1500 and 3000)
Cheap way to bring those faded headlights back.
Have not driven in the dark yet to see the lighting difference but I hear its a profound improvement.

They are still slightly cloudy, but it was getting dark and they are good enough for a 14 year old car.
CRV1.jpg CRV2.jpg CRV3.jpg CRV4.jpg

I did my gfs 2007 CRV recently. I did an extra pass at the end with the buffing pad and used some meguiars ultimate compound. Turned out almost like they were brand new.
4e7f9f3f-6d48-4da3-a50f-f2c3ecc46452_1000.jpg

nicely done :thumbup:

I've done the lights on my Golf, you will definitely notice a difference driving at night

Does the kit come with any sort of spray coat? I've heard the cloudiness comes back quickly without it.

the protective coat is the buffing compound with this kit.
the compound is like a wax/polish.
it really repels the water well, and has that just waxed feeling to the plastic.

i don't anticipate this to last very long, maybe a year before they need to be wet sanded again.
the kit does include a small postcard type advertisement for xpel headlight protection film kits.
http://www.xpel.com/headlight-protection-kits/

at 70 bucks for a set, i cant justify the expense on a car that's 14 years old and i anticipate having for perhaps another 2 years max.
i intend to flip it by 150k, or when shit starts to break. so far its only been odds and ends items, brakes, oil, door lock actuator
the a/c compressor has a small rattle too it and i'd be surprised if it lasts this summer before it needs replacement. but i said the same thing last summer.

if you want them to stay clear longer, just do the final step every few months
you have 8oz of the stuff

you didn't try herbal supplements to fix the cataracts first? :D

I hear toothpaste works for this too. anyone ever try that?

I did the turtle wax brand kit years ago to my mother in laws Civic, it had to be redone a year and a half to 2 years later.

Looks good, I need to do this to my truck soon.

I hear toothpaste works for this too. anyone ever try that?
tried it, no fucking way
maybe mild clouding but not touching real yellowed out hazy lights
when i did the lights on my Krautwagen the first time the sand paper that i had wore out and i didnt really want to go to the store to get more so i figured id make due with toothpaste like i had seen on the youtubes... complete waste of fucking time
about all it did was make my lights smell pepperminty

when i do mine i wet sand them with 1 and 2K papers by hand
then run through multiple grades of polishing compound with 4 inch pads on my DA buffer
then finish with a UV stable sealant

first time i used some high dollar baller shit that was specially formulated for headlight blah blah blah alien technology permanent coating... fucking yellowed out in about 6 months :thumbdown: fucking gabage

second time i used a high quality sealant that cost less than half of the price for 16oz than the alien tech shit cost for 10cc, and this stuff can be used on pretty much every surface of the car, works like a much more durable "wax"... that was almost a year ago and the lights are still clear with no re-application :thumbup:impressed thus far

next time i do them i will use the laminate shields, those are supposed to last 5+ years (similar to the factory coating on the lights) and if/when those yellow up all you have to do is peal them off, clean the lens and put new ones on

I finally drove at night and there is a noticeable difference.
The lack of illumination from the old clouded lights vs the new ones makes this a safety issue in my book, and its money well spent to avoid an night time driving incident with a deer or anything else in the road.
Highly recommended cheap fix.

I got the same kit and did my headlights on my tc. I ended up just using the ball to clean them off. I didn't bother trying to get the pitting out or anything. I sealed with this product. So far so good.

Back