CRV-tec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civ96

Ok has anyone done this?. I am buying a 1999 CRV because my 96 hatch got stolen and i want something a little different this time. I have a 99 sir head wiring harness and ecu now can i put this on my CRV block? I know it might sound stupid but i have never herd of anyone doing this in a CRV. Its a 5 speed as well. I know it wont be hella fast or anything because of weight issues. But i would like to try it vtec head eagle rods and endyn pistons then if this goes well possably putting the turbo setup i was building for the b16 that was in my civic in to the CRV. any info would be awsome guys thanks..

:hitit: :woo: :thumbsup: :burnout: :burnout:

CRV's are fun to drive, and even though they aren't really made for serious offroad, they are one of the very few "suv"s I would consider buying. Is the one you want 2wd or awd? I'd go with an EX if I were you and skip all the front wheel drive-only garbage. It would give you an extra bit of sure footedness. People build frankenstein motors all the time, but they aren't usually STILL IN the crv, but I don't see why it would work if that is what you want. post pics if you decide to do it.

Originally posted by hybrid89@Jun 22 2004, 10:41 AM
where have you been? please don't think your the first. that is all!

matt

ouch sooo harsh....
<----Never seen b20vtec in a crv...

my buddy put a euro ITR motor in his CRV and took the B20 out to build a B20vtec for the del sol. He said the CRV really needs the torque of the B20 to be driveable - the ITR relies on its tranny as much as anything else.

It's funny, the crappy first gear and the weight of the crv make the motor feel very torqueless. I stalled out quite few times in my buddys when I first drove it.

It's been done- I've seen a few articles on B20/VTEC CR-Vs. It would actually be pretty nice with new internals, a VTEC head and a turbo.

hey guys thanks for the info i have never seen this done does any one know a link to some pics??. the one i am looking at is a 99 4wd model with a 5 speed tranny...or should i go auto and put in a tci tourque converter and gear box..The turbo set up will be on for sure next year i just want to get the suv and put the head on it for now. any one know how much hp i can expect with eagle rods endyn 9.0cr pistons and the vtec head the head has been ported as well..i will keep the stock sir cams till i go turbo next year....thanks again guys for your help

Just stick with the manual. Honda's automatic transmission on the FWD cars are typically pretty weak. I don't know if that trend carries over to the CR-V AWD automatic, but you never know. Then again, I don't know how strong the CR-V's manual transmission is either. Regardless, you'll probably have more fun driving the manual anway.

:)

One of my friends built a B20/VTEC for boost using 9.3:1 compression, and he was able to make 170hp/140lbft at the wheels before bolting up the boost. That was using turbo grind cams and a port/polish job from Endyn, along with an 84.5mm bore (.5mm over stock). You can probably hit 150whp on stock cams and low compression, which really wouldn't be bad before boost.

If you're able to get the TCI torque converter and a complete aftermarket gear box (didn't know they made those), you might be better off- but I can't imagine that it's cheap.

ya i want the manual they make a high hp rebuild kit for them with new syncros and stuff. and the 99 has the b20z 146hp stock right

Yes, the 99 should have the 146hp version of the B20.

Can you get the rebuild kit for the manual transmission? If you've got the resources to rebuild your CR-V's transmission, go for it! Build a monster block and boost the hell out of it- you'll surprise a lot of people, and probably be able to make a magazine feature article too.

Nice well i guess i will find out soon. a mag would be nice i do custom fiberglass moulding for a shop here in whitby so the interior will be trick to. But got to get the motor done first anyone know of any axle companys that make high hp ones for a crv or if any off other cars fit..

for axles I use the driveshaftshop.com. They have good stuff and could always make you something custom.

sweet thanks ok another question sorry guys for asking so much but i just want to cover every angle what clutch can i run with the b20 and stock tranny i have a bully clutch for a itr will that work or will anything inerfere with it?????? oh and what ecu should i run????

Use the SiR ECU and your b20 tranny. The clutch isn't a problem you can use that also.

I've only seen this done once before. It was CR-VTEC Turbo on mugen mf8's and it was lowered. Still had the ski rack on top too :)

Back