CRVTEC help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sup guys. my shop teacher has a 2000 CRV and wants to throw a b16 head on just for a lil bang. he was askin me what all does he need for this project. i told him, and let him borrow a few of my hondatuning mags that had the "killer b" articals (which are very good, by the way). He then asked me what kind of vtec controller he should use, because he doesn't want to run a different ecu. he said the p28, pr3, and p72 all activate the vtec too high. he isn't a street racer, he just likes projects. this is going to be in his CRV. i was wondering.......what vtec controller should he use????????? since he doesn't want to swap out his ECU. thanks, joe

b16 head
b16 tranny
b20 head gasket
oil return line + fittings
gsr water pump
gsr timing belt,
possibly a new clutch
machine work to the head

He can get a Hondata program burned at the local tuner- that wouldn't require him to remove the current ECU, but he would just have to install a socket and chip into it. A one time tune on an S100 program would cost him about the same as an Apex'i VAFC, which is what most people pick for a piggyback unit. One advantage to the VAFC is that you can always retune it later, which is a major bonus if you're doing your own tuning and don't want to or can't pay for time on a dyno.

Back