crvtec sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

micah

ok ive seriously been thinking about swapping a crvtec into the sol.
anyone wanna throw out some opinions?

also, wheres a good place to buy. im gonna start checking around some junkyards, but id rather have a new one. does import biulders sell motors or just upgrade your existing motor after you send it to them? been a long time since i was on there site and dont feel like going there now. i know im lazy.

will i have to switch trannies? i love my tranny now. i dunno if i wanna give up revving to 9k :ph34r:

and if i do the swap ill sell my b16a3 and use that money to boost the b20.

oh well, everyone let me know what you think.

where you located?

i could always stick it in my crx, but id rather sell it and use the money to boost the b20 if thats the route i end up taking

if you already have a B16A3 then all you want to get rid of is the block
get a B20 block and build it up a little (rods, pistons, ARP rod and head bolts, etc.... read the LS/VTEC thread in the FAQ)
keep your tranny keep your head... no point in re buying shit you already have

oh.... and before you start this project you really should decide if you want boost or not... build the setup for whatever you choose right from the start

Just keep the A3, the gains are probably not going to be worth the trouble. Just take your time and locate a cheap block and head and build it up, then put it in and sell the A3, no down time.

well i was thinking of just buying the annihilator b20 crate motor from import builders. like 4500 with annihilator package and has 220-250 whp.
i have a whopping what 140-150 right now.

130k on the motor, no internal work just bolt on mods.
brand new flywheel in it though, not even broke in yet

you'll regret dude :p , I think you should sell it to me right now and get a turbo for your b20z.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 18 2003, 12:30 PM
keep your tranny keep your head... no point in re buying shit you already have

:werd:

pick up a b20 block from a salvage yard...buy some arp headstuds/rodbolts, a good set of rods and some high comp. pistons.

build the head.

there's your 200+whp.

id say pick up an ls or beter yet, a gsr block and send it to them to sleeve it. the Ani. packages are sleeved anyway... no point in paying for a b20 over an ls block. but if you can swing it, id suggest getting the gsr block if you can find one not too much more than the ls/crv bottom end.

IB doesn't sell motors.... most the time they require a core. however, the DO scope out for you, but you can almost always get one cheaper and ship it to them.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 20 2003, 11:33 AM
id say pick up an ls or beter yet, a gsr block and send it to them to sleeve it. the Ani. packages are sleeved anyway... no point in paying for a b20 over an ls block. but if you can swing it, id suggest getting the gsr block if you can find one not too much more than the ls/crv bottom end.

IB doesn't sell motors.... most the time they require a core. however, the DO scope out for you, but you can almost always get one cheaper and ship it to them.

so the packages that are like 12 grand require a core, i never saw that. im going to have to go look.

looked - so are you saying thats what they charge for you to send them a motor and have them rebuild it with new parts?

I don't think the real pricey combos require a core. I have never read that.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 20 2003, 11:33 AM

:withstupid:

if you want the displacement, just sleeve a GSR -- 84 mm would be fine, and you could still rev to 8k with the B16A3 head. GSR blocks aren't that expensive, and after selling the B16, you can do all kinds of shit. If you want the CRV block, buy the whole longblock for 750 from hmotorsonline.com.

crate motors from IB comes with everything.

hence "crate motor" :p

the deal is i work 10 hours a day and drive 2 hours a day to get to work and back. at least 5 days a week. i dont have the time to find parts piece by piece and try and build the motor in my lack of a garage.
im also a noob mechanic, i read alot and know alot from reading, but lack the hands on experience to build my own motor.

and i figure if im gonna go big, might as well go all out with a b20.

i dunno thanks for the opinions though guys, keep em coming ;)

why? a gsr bottom end, once sleeved = 84mm. a CRV not sleeved = 84mm. a crv sleeved = 85 or 86mm, but then you need to get your head ported to match, and shit starts overlapping and stuff.

84 is all you need to go. Ericks racing is an 84mm bore. ed burgenholtz is an 81mm bore. motormatrix is 81.5mm bore, and put 566. geoff's car is an 83mm bore, and he put 586 whp out of it. you don't need to go any bigger than 84.

as for the extra from the stroke... you can put the ls crank in the gsr block with ls length rods... but again, you don't need to. its over-rated.

Back