CRVTEC VS. LSVTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wngfn05

I am thinking about doin a CRVTEC but everyone i know doesn't say anything about them. I know a guy who owns a machine shop and he said he would hook me up building the b20 long block and also the b16 head. What do you guys think is better for a 96 civic HX coupe??? Does the b16 tranny match up the b20 bottem end? What does the b20 redline at? I am going to have not only the bottom end fully built but the head built as well, port and polish and that good stuff. With the discount I would get knowing that guy with the shop, woudl i get more power out of a crvtec or the lsvtec? what is the mony difference in the block of a crv and ls??

Originally posted by comutek@Jul 11 2003, 07:38 AM
uh, if both properly built CRVTEC.

2.0 > 1.8

:werd:

nuff said

well your going to want to build the motor anyways so with that said it's better to get teh cheaper block which is the ls block. The two motors are teh same except the crv motor has 84mm sleeves as opposed to 81mm sleeves.

Unless you plan on only reving the motor out till 7k, then stay crv.

Milan

I would go B20 either way. The only way I would go with the LS over it is if you already own that bottom end. Even then I would think seriously about resleeving it and borin gto 84mm.

but if you are going to be resleeving and replacing the rods and pistons then why not go with the cheaper LS block.... save some money up front that you can put twards the block upgrades

:)
What I was trying to say was that I would go for an 84mm bore no matter what you start with.

It's 5PM on Friday and there had not been any beer. That needs to be remedied.

Not to sound like I was the main character in "I Am Sam", but I don't think my question was answered in any of the above chit chat. If it was, then I feel like a douchebag, and I'll hop on the short bus and leave you guys alone. My question is this: I have a 94 Civic Coupe EX, I've got the Greddy turbo kit on my D16 , and I was either going to get a B16A2, a B20/B16, or a B18/B16 hybrid...and get a new exhaust manifold and transfer everything over. If I am planning on only running 8-10 psi, which swap is my best bet? It's semi-daily driven, and I'll sacrifice power for reliability if that answers any question, but I just want something with more balls then what I've got, and I'm thinkin' it needs to be of the twin cam variety. I'm not planning on severely building whatever motor I get, so whatever would be best for a mildly stock block/head, that's what I'm interested in. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Laidher.

Originally posted by JustSayNoToAPC@Jul 11 2003, 08:04 PM
Not to sound like I was the main character in "I Am Sam", but I don't think my question was answered in any of the above chit chat. If it was, then I feel like a douchebag, and I'll hop on the short bus and leave you guys alone. My question is this: I have a 94 Civic Coupe EX, I've got the Greddy turbo kit on my D16 , and I was either going to get a B16A2, a B20/B16, or a B18/B16 hybrid...and get a new exhaust manifold and transfer everything over. If I am planning on only running 8-10 psi, which swap is my best bet? It's semi-daily driven, and I'll sacrifice power for reliability if that answers any question, but I just want something with more balls then what I've got, and I'm thinkin' it needs to be of the twin cam variety. I'm not planning on severely building whatever motor I get, so whatever would be best for a mildly stock block/head, that's what I'm interested in. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Laidher.

you asked
CRVTEC VS. LSVTEC, Which one and why?

i said.
uh, if both properly built CRVTEC.

2.0 > 1.8

that's means CRVTEC > LSVTEC

He said he wanted to get a new manifold. Read his post.

If you just want to run 8-10 psi on the new engine with your old turbo kit, just build a B20/VTEC with a stock B20 block. There's no need to resleeve at boost pressures that mild, especially with the size of turbo that comes in a D series Greddy kit. Throw in some low-mid compression pistons (like 9.5:1 or 10.0:1) to buffer the small turbo, and you'll have a really nice power curve.

I've got some Eagle rods for sale if you need them- they'd fit your B20 just right.

;)

Thanks Calesta, I appreciate the no bullshit answer. All I want is a really linear powerband, my buddy has the RevHard kit on his 95 LS 4-door, and although it runs like a raped ape, the powerband is so sketchy. I think with the small turbo, and a good sized motor, it should be pretty smooth...or I'll be wrong...who knows. I appreciate the info though, for what it's worth. What does a fairly stock "CRVtec" motor redline at? Same as a B16? Where is peak power?

Oh god...I'm asking too many questions!!!!

I'm gonna go eat the business end of a Desert Eagle.

Do they let 23 year olds adopt 17-18 year old girls from 3rd world countries? Cause man...I'm soooooo in if they do.

-Steve :)

I'm all about "no bullshit".

Raped ape. :lol:

A small turbo on a larger displacement engine will make you feel like you just have... an even larger displacement engine. You'll most likely get fast spool on the turbo, a decent boost in the midrange, then some falloff towards the top of the rev range, depending on how efficient your turbo setup is.

A "fairly stock" B20/VTEC can redline wherever you want it to, depending on how well it's built. My last engine was a B20/VTEC with all stock internals except for Eagle rods and Wiseco pistons, along with ARP fasteners, and it saw 8500rpm almost every single day for 45k miles. Get your bearings all sized correctly, doublechecked with plastigage and put together well, and you can probably rev to 8k with no problems.

Quake 3 > Counterstrike. /flame suit on. :lol:

Don't adopt! Kidnap.

Your "FOE-DOE" is tits. What exactly happened that you blew the motor?

On a side note...

The Fast and The Furious is the reason I have made my civic the way it is. I just didn't know it yet, back in 1994, when I started getting into imports...you know...before it was cooool. Good thing though...that a random asshole at Starbucks pointed out to me the other night, that I built my car because I was influenced by that movie. Man am I stupid! I can't believe I didn't know that!!! Thank goodness for intuitive like that!
I'm surprised I can wipe my own ass!

Anyone who enjoys good quotes, these are a few I found on HondaSociety.com...

"My car doesn't look fast and my car doesn't look furious...so when you see my taillights fade into the distance, remember this: I was into cars long before you and the rest of the trend-humping lemmings showed up and I'll be into cars long after you move on to the next pop-culture trend that you decide to shamelessly bastardize."

Here's another one that made me laugh my ass off...

"is that a solar panel on your hood" -the guy that works at 7-11

Take it easy guys,

-Steve

Originally posted by JustSayNoToAPC@Jul 12 2003, 12:50 AM
Your "FOE-DOE" is tits. What exactly happened that you blew the motor?

Thanks. I had to read that twice though.

:emofo: :lol:

I melted a piston.

Originally posted by Afipunk21@Jul 12 2003, 01:24 AM
3rd gear + 90 mph x n00b driver ;) = fux0red ^3.

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Not "n00b" driver...

3rd gear + 90 mph x pissed driver = boom

:lol:

Back