CRX 91 cranks, but won't start.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sweetangel460

Um, new here. Having problems with my one and only hope ('91 CRX) and I am at my wits end trying to figure it out.
As I was driving last weekend, when I would slow down at a light, my car would cut out... as if it wasn't getting gas. It did it about three times, then, on my way home, on the fourth time... it died. I pulled to the side of the road, and tryed to start it. Sounded like it wanted to start, but wouldn't fire up.

Installed a new relay... no start.
Checked all plugs and fuses... no start.
Took to a mechanic down the road, payed him 100 bucks, to have him tell me it was my fuel pump (Oh, BTW was getting a code 16 before this)

Today (a week later) I got my new pump, installed it... and... no start. It fired up twice for a split second each time, and then died again. Checked for an error code, there's nothing there (unplugged my battery, so it would have been reset, not sure if car needs to be running to pick up codes)

Anyways, that's what is going on, sorry if it isn't super clear, it just doesn't really make sense no matter how I put it. Any imput at all would be very helpful.

Thank you all so very much!

Remove the injectors. Check them for continuity. An easy way to see if it is a fuel issue is to buy a can of "2+2". You spray it into your throttle body while moving the throttle (butterfly) open/close repeatedly. Then crank it up. If it starts and then dies out it is obviously a fuel issue. Could be bad injectors, pump, sending unit etc. Just take it to a shop and have them figure it out. The process of elimination is not the way to diagnose a problem. Takes too long and costs too much. Good luck.

I checked the injectors for continuity and I got nothing, but also checked them for an ohm reading, and hit standard. The mechanic said it was a fuel pump. Took some starter fluid to my throttle body while giving it spurts of gas (bufferfly technique) and still didn't work. Thanks for your help. Was very greatly appriciated.

Back