crx B16 build?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hatch guy18

Ok so im new to this forum and to the crx thing as well. I picked up this fully swapped crx with a b16 the other day for 2k. I was wondering how i should go about building it. Should i do the b18 block and go that way with all motor and more compretion, or should i build the motor the way it is with aftermarket internals and turbo it. I plan on working on this car for like 2 or 3 years its gonna probally end up being a show/weekend car or something. maybe not will see lol:D:eek:
Let me know what yall guys think.
Thanks in advance.

Do you have a power goal in mind?. That motor is 160hp stock, if you buy just a performance header-back exhaust you'd produce 170hp on that motor alone!.

yeas i would love to make it to like 300 or more. lol
honestly im tired of having all these rich kids going out and buying like evos and wrx and s2ks and thinking thier bad as hell

I don't have much experience with a B-Series, just remember do NOT do upgrades such as fuel system and expect it to run faster or anything. Along with a fuel system per-say you need to chip your ECU or you will get the same amount of fuel in the cylinder as stock. If you put more fuel in you really should run a turbo to use the fuel to its most advantage. This was just an example of not expecting much just because it's performance. Also, what is your budget for this build?.

P.S. I hate those rich bastards too, they don't even appreciate the vehicles they drive.

yea nad on top of them being rich, they cant fucking drive either so that makes it even better hen they claim to ketch a gear and realy all they do is rev the shit out of it lol.

I would like similar gains (250-300hp)

LS/VTEC (built bottom end) was an option I wanted. But I don't want it anymore.

I want a motor with longevity and I've never heard of an LS/VTEC built that has proven to get over 30K miles.

Not to say it isn't possible (and yes I have read multiple threads on a 'reliable ls/vtec')

I just think the LS crank and block with new oem vtec or afermarket pistons/rods is still sketchy

I have a B16 and am now contemplating a rebuild (in a year or so) to b16b pistons/rings/rods (new and sized for rebuild) and b16b valve train

But I haven't looked enough into putting a type r piston in my block (in terms of longevity)

I am now leaning towards a more expensive way to get there.

Build the motor and piece together a turbo system...say hell with it and go for 325-350whp

Not to say you can't get good hp cheaper.....I just want to be able to drive the shit out of it.

I'm punching the numbers and if a K-series swap is roughly the same (in a year or so)

well...duh K-series baby! Right now its still about $8K minimum and that's doing it yourself.

If this car isn't your DD....and don't mind if the motor goes in 10-30K....

Do the ls/vtec...shot peen the rods, get new pistons/rings and micro-polish the crank. (this can be done for less then $800 if you count the cost of the block)

Run the golden eagle oil system for the frankenstein and it'll put 200whp pretty easy with tune/ecu work

Or turbo your stock motor for around $1500-1800 for a cheap set up and get to 250-275hp easily

Yeah you can just turbo it stock, but think about it this way you will only be running on 7psi safely on a stock set-up. Also, the engine won't last long if you always give it hell even on 7psi. And you will be making only about 225-230hpwith that set-up. !JDM EF-9! has the right idea of an LS/VTEC rebuild. For this build I'd highly recommend:
-Eagle Rods
-Low Compression Turbo Pistons (about 9.1:1 CR)
-Tuned Crome or Uberdata ECU to tune the turbo properly
-Balanced Crankshaft
-ARP Rod Bolts
-ARP Head Studs
-OEM Rod Bearings
-OEM Main Bearings
-ACT or Clutchmasters "Stage 2" Clutch
-"Stage 2 or 3" Skunk2 camshaft with titanium retainers and stiffer valve springs
-AEM Tru-Time Cam Gear
-Port and Polished Head

*Companies listed are just a recommendation, it ALL depends on the spec of the product that you buy that ensures all components together will work properly!.*

Really?, the LS/VTEC will only go for about 30k and it's done, WoW!. I didn't know that. Also, I wish I had a B16a2 to soupe up. I am just running the D16a6/D16y8 "mini-me" combo.

if you dont build it right ls/v's are either blowing up,timing is off etc..
wat do you expect when you put two things that dont belong together anyway??

160hp stock

port/polish/valve train can give you 30hp with a good tune and hondata, chip, etc

10 lbs on a t3/t4 will get that set up around 250 at the wheels....and how long it lasts depends on the weight of your foot and the bottom end of the motor.

But you can go crazy and get 500-800+ hp with a built b16/turbo (the size of a Mack Truck's turbo lol)

I'd say forget about the top end for now and build the block for turbo.

Whats your budget???

dude just get a peakboost turbo kit..
I've heard good things about them and will get you too the hp goal you want wit your stock b16..

I'm gettin one as soon as I got enough money..;)

Back