crx d16a6 to d16z6 head swap starting issues.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

let me see if i can find anything on why thats doing that!!
thanks tho

some people said RTV your thermostat housing,or check the water pump or your manifold,start with tho first!! and as well all your pluming under the hood. and use RTV glue on any gaskets you replace,it holds better make sure you get the high temp. one i think its blue.

ya that would be ok. and can anybody tell me why the im getting antifreeze in my block. i have a new head gasket and new head bolts in it. if nobody can help me can someboy just give me a good deal on another engine that will drop in my car and is RUNNING. cuz i have the worst luck with this car. i have had three different engines in it and its still not running. i would prefer a vtec. i have a 1990 honda crx si.

When you say you are getting antifreeze in your block do you mean it is mixing with the engine oil? Or is it getting in the cylinders and burning? I see that you put a new headgasket in and re used the old bolts and than replaced the bolts after it had problems, did you replace the head gasket a second time when you replaced the bolts? What kind of head gasket did you use? If you have a graphite style gasket take it out and throw it away. You need to run a MLS type headgasket. Also did you check the head and block for warpage?

some people said RTV your thermostat housing,or check the water pump or your manifold,start with tho first!! and as well all your pluming under the hood. and use RTV glue on any gaskets you replace,it holds better make sure you get the high temp. one i think its blue.

Orange RTV is the high temp, Blue is sensor safe. Personally I would use permatex high tack gasket sealer on any paper type gaskets and either hondabond or me. gasket rightstuff for things like the water outlet and such.

i did change the head gasket the second time and i do believe my head is worped because when i set it on there it had a little wobble. but tht could have been the fact that the intake is pretty heavy nd made it seem tht way. but im gunna take it to a shop nd check it for worpage nd see if thts my prob. thanks

if anybody could give me a good deal on a d16 vtec tht would be great because im done messing with this motor or just any vtec that will drop in my 1990 crx si easily.

Do you want the whole thing block/tranny or just heads or block? My buddy got one but i think he only wants to trade!!

ok ill try to come up with the money thank you. is it in good shape cuz i do not wanna have to work on another car

You should really search this out. The y8 head would have been your better bet to swap. The distributor from the a6 will bolt straight to the y8 head. As for the leaking coolant into the chambers, that is because you have to mismatch your head bolts for them to fit correctly, the z6 and y8 heads have two spots that the head bolts bottom out and does not seat the head all the way down. Now onto the fuel issue of having too much... you need to get the fuel pressure regulator from an 5th gen and use that orrrrr get the fuel flow modifier from B&M or somewhere else to be able to adjust your intake of fuel. Also research a homemade vtec controller, that will give you the use of vtec with your a6 ecu. This swap can give you some good numbers for a street honda if you do it correctly.

ok but all my head bolts are the same size. so wht head bolts do i use. im really ready to just throw this engine in the trash because i am having way too many problems with it. when it runs it runs smoothe as hell but then it just pukes out when i go to give it gas then it floods itself out. i have tried sooo many different things and none of them work.

If you do decide to throw it in the trash put in a crate and I will be happy to pay the shipping to my house :)

You need stock a6 head bolts for all except the back two corners(intake side) for those you need y8 head bolts.

ok well i live in indiana nd if anybody is interested in buying my 90 crx si let me know. its from georgia so it hasent seen a winter yet. just throw me a price.

Its in the dead center of your block, the z6 has it installed in the head, if you dont remove the one from the block it will boost your oil pressure through the roof.

ok yesterday i drove my crx for like an hour and the who time i was hearing a air sound. so i checked my vaccume hoses and found that my PCV valve wasent hooked up. so i hooked it up and it just started smoking like crazy nd fould my plugs. so it went from runnin ok to takin a shit. whts up my head gasket??? nd if so how its brand new.

so having the same swap on my ef, i learned that its not a good idea to run the a6 dizzy on the z6 head. youll never have the right timing on it. i ended up converting to obd1, z6 dizzy and i even went with the z6 intake mani. everything works great.

Back