CRX HF Brake Upgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BubbaJoe

So the brakes on my 20yo CRX HF (yeah, an '88) are a bit worn out. Already had to replace the master cylinder, so I took the chance and put the integra/legend/prelude one in. But, my rotors and pads are getting old too, I was wondering if the SI front brakes, rotors (from like 9" HF to 9.5" SI) and calipers would be worth it. I've found remanufactured parts for dirt cheap and in looking up part numbers and prices, whats the difference between 88-89 SI and 90-91 SI front brakes? As far as I know everything is swappable but the 90-91 are more expensive and have different part numbers, but when looking at rotor sizes, both say 9.5".

Also, part of this swap would be SS brake lines, and eventually rear discs, but the drums will do for now.

Not a track car, just a gas-saving daily that I'd like to be able to stop well in.

P.S. First post!

First off, welcome and hope you stick around, there is much to be learned here. Second you cant use the Si rotors and calipers without useing the Si spindles. Just leave your stock brakes up front and get a set of rear trailing arms from a 90-93 Integra, youll be really supprised how well it will slow down with rear discs, and an average mechanicly inclined person can do it a couple hours.

So the spindles are different? Are the DX spindles the same as the SI? Also, what is the difference between the years of the SI brakes? And I'm planning on getting the rear trailing arms, but that's going to be a bit more expensive than replacing the fronts. Thanks for the help though, and would the SI spindle be a bolt on affair? My technical ability is quite fair, though my wallet is not so much. =P

Yeah dont really worry about the fronts, you will notice a big difference in braking power with just the rear discs.

Back