CRX HF rebuild. I need some suggestions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jay Bird

I have a 1986 CRX HF and want have the engine rebuilt. It has 260,000 miles on it and I would like to get another 200,000 out of it. I already pulled the motor out of the car and have the head and tranny off of the block.

I live in the SF Bay area and called a few shops and got quoted $1,500-1,800. This seems very expensive and is more than the car is worth and more than I am willing to spend. I have never rebuilt an engine before but a few people have told me that it wouldnt be difficult to rebuild this engine. Should I attempt to rebuild the engine myself or leave it to the professionals?

You can definitely rebuild it yourself. Just grab a Helms manual which has every step-by-step and specs needed.

I was able to download in pdf format a shop service manual on hondahookup.com. There is a version for the 86 civic and a suppliment for the crx. It shows step by step how to remove and instal certain parts, but it is not a step by step guide to rebuild an engine. I can use it for torque specs and to get things apart, but as far as the rebuild process, I dont know exactly what needs to be replaced and in what order. Is the the same manual as the helms?

It is. When you rebuild; you're essentially replacing all of the "wear" items such as seals, rings, bearings, etc. along with checking tolerances and such.

I've seen rebuild kits on eBay; you don't have to use it but just gives you an idea of what's changed during the rebuild process.

There is a scratch in one of the cylinders. Will I need to have them bored?

IMG_7521.jpg

If it's a shallow scratch, possibly honing would be enough to smoothen it out. Remember, reboring means oversized pistons and rings.

I am stuck trying to get the nut off of the cranksfaft pulley. The starter method won't work for me since the engine is out of the car. Are there any tricks to getting this off besides an impact wrench?

Big ass breaker bar is the best alternative. If you can, just drive it to a shop and have them knock it loose for you; reinstall bolt with a ratchet; and when you get home you should be able to take it off yourself.

Thanks, I think driving it to a shop would be the easiest way and give the guy a 15 dollar tip.

I took it to a shop and the guy had it off in 2 seconds with an impact wernch. He wouldnt take a tip either. Thanks for the idea K2e2vin

Back