crx Hf tranny Probs?? Please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryangt

ok my commuter crx is a 90 Hf 5 speed completely stock well intake and exhaust dosent count.

WHEN PARKED
The transmission is making a loud whining noise while in neutral. When i push the clutch in the noise goes away.

WHEN DRIVING
When i drive it its kinda loud the whining still there also, it shifts fine and dosent grind at all. When i downshift to come to a stop and let out the clutch it whines louder as i slow to a stop. Again no grinds and it dosent pop out of gear.

Anyone know what to do here??
any help would be greatly appreciated

Those would be your snychros. Your tranny is probably low on oil, you should start be refilling. If that doesn't help, it probably means that your tranny is on its way to the shitter.

Hmm, I would think more along the line of a bad bearing, maybe input shaft bearing going out, but i can tell you this, when I had my HF it did the same thing and I drove it around for over 6 months like that because I knew I was going to do a swap soon and it never really got worse or did not have any negative consequences

i thought synchros effect the shifting? well try changing the transmission fluid as stated above. i had some problems with my gearbox(mainly hard to shift) and when i changed the fluid it helped out(used Pennzoil Synchromesh)

i had the clutch replaced before it started doing this, is it poossible that the dood just screwed up or could it maybe be coinsidence??

Also refiling the transmission ,, what fluid should i use, i would assume normal gear oil but does it need a friction modifyer like friggen mitsus do or is it a honda only fluid, i remember somewhere reading that you need to refil with honda brand or itll mess up the trans performance?
any truth ??
thanks for the help

whats the best way to refil this trans?? its kind of in an awkward position to refil?

Use a funnel and DON"T use gear oil. Honda transmissions take 5w30 (I think, not sure, maybe 10w30), Honda MTF (manual transmission fluid, best option) or GM synchromesh friction modified (if you have an LSD).

mtf and (GM, Texaco, or Pennzoil; theyre the same thing)synchromesh fluid will work; you dont have to have lsd to use the synchromesh. when i did it i couldnt get to the fill bolt so hooked the nipple up to the hose and took off what looks to be some sort of drain bolt or service hole. tilted the car like crazy, put the hose in the hole and just squeezed the bottle with the hose hooked up to it. not the proper way to do it but got the fluid in there.

if your capable of it, removing the vehicle speed sensor proves to be an easy way of getting fluid in there

Back