Crx Idles and then dies

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chaajoth

I Just got a 86 CRX with a D15 carb'd in it and i drove it for about an hour and then stopped off to get something to eat. when i got back in and turned it on it would idle for a second and then dies unless i kept giving it gas. i read on another forum that it could be a vacuum hose leak but i was really unsure so i wanted to ask. thank you in advance :)

vapor lock...

driving it is warming up everything under the hood, gas vapor's easily with heat, when it restarts, then it's using the last of the built up fuel and pressure from the expanding gases, then the vapors hit's...it's like sucking a coke with a straw with a tiny hole in it....and then you hit the gas pedal and your actuating the accelerator pump in the carb...and that's just feeding it just enough fuel to stay running. but not running to peak performance. Air flow, insulation, and a better fuel pump with a fuel pressure regulator, should help.

Carbs are a bitch. Elevation and temperature sensitive to the tips of your teeth.

now if you live in Minot, North Dakota, or Alaska..... and your having these problems.... that's a completely different story.

hahahaha i gotcha, well thank you. I really dont know much about cars at all, do i have to get a whole new carb or is there a different fix?

Don't start replacing exspensive parts yet, start on simple easy stuff. Vaccu
lines are easy to do for a new mechanic. Built up heat also expands rubber and makes them plyable to promote a leak. A simple test for vaccum lines is to have the car running at a idle, and then start at one side of the engine and start squeezing each line at both ends while watching the idle change. If it dies.... Then that hose is needed and works..... If it dies or starts to sputter, then that line might have a leak or be loose. Old cars are mostly hit or miss, but there still are shops out there that can find the problem.

Post this problem on redpepperracing.com and the carb guys there can spend more time helping you with diagnosing your problem.

Back