CRX or no?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fatdudesurfin

ok, so im thinking to myself the other day, how great would it be to own a nice, small, potentially fast 2 seater thats cheap?

then i started looking into the CRX's and i think ive found a great car for me. but im a little sketchy as far as details about the car goes. so i have a few questions

what is the general safety rating on a CRX? i know it doesnt have an airbag or abs, two concerns, but whats the general word as far as safety goes?

whats the view on CRX reliability? if i bought one, i would probably go with the CRX HF, most likely stock and unraced. what is the reliability of the CRX motors as they pack on the miles (130k+)? would i have to look out for any components after purchase (water pump, oil pump, etc)? AND what is the reliability on other aspects of the car? like suspension, interior, AC, etc. (things i might have to replace if i bought one)

what do owners of a CRX think of their car? and if you have any gripes about it, or used to own one but now dont, what do you have to say against it?

lastly, if i am indeed to purchase one, what pricing should i look to pay for one in good interior/exterior condition and engine condition?

thanks for all help

:eek: keep it stock?

good idea ,never drove a STOCK crx before, couldent tell you much about em.

i love my crx though :p

The hf motor is a good motor for its intended purpose. The motors will last if they are taken care of. I love my crx but watch out for rust. I am probably going to have to junk mine soon since the body is about to rust out. I have seen pictures of crashed crxes that looked like someone would have been killed but the people walked away without a scratch. Try searching for the crx resource. There are a lot of die hard crx fans on there.

i meant BUY a stock one
im planning on pumpin some cash into it. f'sho

so body rust is a concern? i think i could fix some of the minor stuff...

Try to find one with NO rust. Mine had rust to begin with and now it has holes in the doors. (time for new doors). They're really fun cars to drive, and they are the PERFECT honda for a swap (especially the HF, like mine). Even with a b16 (like me :p) they're VERY peppy and a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

Things to watch for:
#1 - Rust, its a bitch and theres not much you can do. It'll always return
#2 - If its over 120,000 miles you might have to replace the clutch and shocks. Mine were both completely dead. My clutch slipped more than a greased pig and my shocks are shot, so I'm in the process of making some money to replace them.
#3 - The seals to my hatch are shot and it tends to rattle a bit.

Over all CRXs are very nice cars. They have one of the best interriors of any car I've driven/been in and the seats kick ass :p. Just swap fast, I had to drive on my HF motor with a slipping clutch for 6 months and it sucked HARD. As for miles, 130k is just breaking it in. When I removed my HF engine it was still running hard, burning NO oil and the tranny was PERFECT (except for the shit ass clutch). So....go buy one and have lots of fun!

As to safety, 90-91 crx's have beams running along the inside of the door that should offer more protection in a side impact. If you are looking for more along the lines of safety Id say go with a generation 2 integra gs or gsr. They dont have airbags in those years but they do have abs. Its what i had before my crx and i loved it.

As to your crx, if you plan on doing any motor swaps be aware that getting a dx will make it a bit more complicated. I got my dx with 180k and everything on it worked great. The clutch was replaced at 100k though. It was a nice car when it was stock, but putting the b16 that was in my integra (swapped obviously) into the crx made it kick in the pants to drive. The dx with 180k, air conditioning, aftermarket sunroof (the manual crank kind), super clean interior, and a few small dings on the outside i paid 1850 for.

One issue you probably will have is the crx leaking from the roof. most everyone i personally know with a crx has had to deal with it. Its an easy fix. Provided the previous owner keeps up with the maintainance schedule and has records of it you should be able to discern what if anything needs to be done. Good luck.

CRXs rock, I've had four of them, loved em all. You can do a lot to them, and if you want them stock, the Si is still a lot of fun.

You don't want ABS anyway. If you know how to drive, you'll be better of without it. They did this test with ABS vs the same car without ABS and the car without ABS could stop quicker than the ABS car in all situations except dry pavement. Shows that the human brain is still better than a computer.

I have a crx its not stock but i love it also a guy a couple houses down the street has a stock 90hf and has has 321,000 miles on it with no rebuild and he hasnt replaced any major parts and its still running strong....well for an hf its strong

dude get a sol with a b16 or at least the Si

two seats
airbags
roadster feel
looks better
less rust
more parts avaiable

ran my stock crx dx for a year without having to replace one part! well other than oil filter. I just did a motor swap on it, old motor still ran great. Only problem I had with it is rust like most other have. I did body work on it to eliminate that. B)

I hda my CRX for 6 months and i loved it. i would want ot get another, but i need a truck so i probably won't. But if i EVER get another Honda, it will definitely be a CRX SI. Mine had no rust, i just had cold air intake and an exhaust, Ground Control coilovers, strut bars, and some Enkei rims. It was a blast to haul ass around the freeway off ramps and see how fast i could go around em, got up to about 65-70 on those offramps that are basically a full circle.

basically ya, they are a blast to drive and actually are pretty quick little cars, and they dont give you the feeling of being in a tiny little hatch, like a Metro or something

Originally posted by SolPWR@May 3 2004, 05:56 PM

two seats
airbags
roadster feel
looks better
less rust
more parts avaiable

their isnt more parts available for a del sol then a crx I mean i like del sols and all but they were hondas least selling car

Originally posted by 91crx+May 4 2004, 02:19 PM-->
@May 3 2004, 05:56 PM

two seats
airbags
roadster feel
looks better
less rust
more parts avaiable

their isnt more parts available for a del sol then a crx I mean i like del sols and all but they were hondas least selling car

what?

same chassis and engine as the civic. plenty of parts for the sol except rice parts and since they didnt sell that much it makes it unique.

I don't personally like the sol. 1st off I don't like the styling. And secondly Its heavy. It is 500lbs heavier than a CRX...and its still a 2 seater. Granted, it is MUCH more safe than a CRX...but who cares, the crx is sexier, lighter, and da SHIT!

-I mean no offense to the Del Sol in this post, i just happen to like the CRX better....:p

I think there were probably more del Sols sold than Gheyludes. The lude was very poor selling, especially toward the end. And no, there are definitely more parts for the Sol than the CRX. The sol shares the fifth gen civic chassis, the most popular and modded one ever.

i have had my crx for four months now. it is bad. i bought it for 350 and 190k miles with a knocking engine, broke tranny, slipping clutch, and busted cv joints. i swapped motors, rebuilt the tranny, put a stage 2 clutch in, and replaced the cv joints. i have had no rust stains though.

one thing to look for is good hf seats. all crxs ive seen the seats where shreaded.

Back