crx rear seat install w/ pics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
I'm going to do a write up on this later but I thought some people might be interested to see the progress

Well first we need to gut the back of the rex.
stripped1.png

stripped2.png

inventory the hardware and test fit
seat_hardware.png

pivot_mount.png

lets find out were to mount our seat. seatbelts, and seat hardware, exploration

this is were to mount the lap belt bolts.
l_side_lb_mount.png

r_side_lb_mount.png

this is were the rear upper seat back latch mounts to, right below the speaker
seat_latch_mount_l.png

the black circles will be removed to expose the lower seat mount clip locations
lower_seat_clip.png

checking were I'll need to either weld or bolt the upper seat bak pivot
seat_bracket_locate.png

seat_bracket_locate2.png

some mods will need to be done to the trim, but hinda was nice enough to mark the locations
cutout1.png

this little black circle plug on the passenger side is actually provide for a child seat teather attachment
teathetmnt.png

quick test fit to see how everything going to look and figure out were to mount the belt buckles
fitment_test.png

testfit.png

seatb_placement.png

As you can see almost all mount points and harware is already present in the USDM model CRX
which makes this install actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I need to weld in to nuts for the belt buckles and possibly weld in the pivots for the folding rear seat. it looks as tho they were rivited in before anyway I'll most likely be doing that work this weekend. I'll update with more pics when I get to that point.

------
Hardware update, the bolts for the seat belt buckle and lap belt are 7/16-20x1in. , the bolts for the seat latch brackets and the pivot bracket are M6-1.0mm x 12mm
also you'll need two 7/16-20 nuts to weld to the frame to be able to mount the buckle.

where the hell are your feet supposed to go? I know that I'm short as fuck, and even still my seat was damn near all the way back, leaving maybe 2 inches or so between the back of my seat and the rear deck thingie...

Quoted post[/post]]
where the hell are your feet supposed to go? I know that I'm short as fuck, and even still my seat was damn near all the way back, leaving maybe 2 inches or so between the back of my seat and the rear deck thingie...

The main reason for this install is to be able to put a care seat in my car. and yeah a kid no bigger than say 6 will really fit back there

:thumbsup:

the little tike will get to ride in the crx soon enough :p

youknow what strikes me qa funny.

almost every crx owner wants a rear seat.

and a lot of people that have them take them out of cars , olike civics tegs and so forth.

must be the mad tight jdm fever yo

Quoted post[/post]]
I want to see a pic of a full sized adult fitting back there...it'd be funny :)

It's actually not that bad to sit in the back. I helped my buddy Miguel (Some know him as SIINSI) Install one in his CRX..

FYI, you'll have to cut the rear hatch cover if you want it to fit.

And you don't have to weld the tabs for the seats in.. If you got underneath the car, you can drill holes & mount them using through bolts. But you only have about 1/4" from the metal to the gas tank. Most say to drop the gas tank. IIRC, there were even marks on the underside of the car where you can see where the belt buckles should be drilled.

this caused me a nostalgic smile. My dad had a 1963 vette. When I was small I thought the little hump behind the seats was the rear seats for my sister and I. We rode around everywhere that way. By the way does anyone think that the early 1970's dining room set that my dad bought with the $1500 he got for selling it is worth roughly the same as the corvette is now? Or what about the 56 gullwing mercedes he decided against?

Back