crx road racing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXROADRACER

I am new to honda tech, I bought a crx with a jdm b16a , no wiring & plumbing.. I am thinking of building & installing a 20vtec. Is anyone racing one of these? I plan to race it in scca spu class. I dont want to have to wrench on it constantly after inatial set-up... any help would be appectiated

I hope i didnt come off as a dick or any thing. It would probly be a good idea to look through the referances at this sight to try and get a better under standing of hondas so everyone doesnt flame you for saying something wrong. and to the B20 in the crx, a b20 might be a little heavy for road racing a crx cuz they are light cars you wont need much to move them so i would probly go with a B18 of some sort and a turbo. and welcome to the site! :D

Originally posted by CRXROADRACER@Jan 23 2004, 02:22 PM
the region I race won't allow turbos in this class ... hence the b20...also spu limits engine size to 2.4 liters

2.4l limit huh? i smell a k20/k24 hybrid crx :) tune it up a bit and you can have 250+ whp all motor.

but a crvtec will do as well, sounds like you are on somewhat of a budget, check out the faq section for some articles about this. if you want it to be reliable you have to build it right and not skimp on anything. ive seen a few crvtec powered crx's and they pull pretty good times.

k20/k24 hybrid crx would be sweet though, and rumor has it that hasport is working on a mount kit for the k20 in a crx :)

Originally posted by CRX_B16B@Jan 23 2004, 01:51 PM
I hope i didnt come off as a dick or any thing. It would probly be a good idea to look through the referances at this sight to try and get a better under standing of hondas so everyone doesnt flame you for saying something wrong. and to the B20 in the crx, a b20 might be a little heavy for road racing a crx cuz they are light cars you wont need much to move them so i would probly go with a B18 of some sort and a turbo. and welcome to the site! :D

why would the b18 weigh any less than the b20?

i agree 100% with the B18 idea, and if your stuck on this head swap thing do the LS/Vtec personaly i think thereas alot more info on the LS/Vtec and i think its a more strait forward deal compared to the B20. with the B18 LS/Vtec or GSR your going to be able to make more then enough power ith witch ever rout you go, but if your looking to build a B series with the most of everything TQ, HP, LTR's ETC. ETC. then go B20, but thats hard on the wallet and from what i understtand thats not gonna be the best choice for what your trying do.

my vote = B18c1
2nd B18a/b LS/Vtec

though in my mind the B20 is still a very interesting motor B) it just dont seem right inlesss you got a butt load of cash to make it right and get out of it what you were looking for when you bought in the first place.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin+Jan 23 2004, 02:50 PM-->
@Jan 23 2004, 01:51 PM

why would the b18 weigh any less than the b20?

after consulting my brain we came to an agreement your right.maybe the H22 was the one i was thinking about. sorry for the retardedness.

Originally posted by UDT@Jan 23 2004, 03:01 PM
how do the the b20's differ from the b18a/b other then the biger bore?

different intake manifold and bore are the main differences. im sure theres other minor differences

I don't mind spending the money to get good torque and good top end... but I want to to it right the first time... not have to keep changing things to make it work

I agree with UDT, B2o is too damn heavy. GSR or B18A/B/lsvtec.

my .02

matt

Originally posted by hybrid89@Jan 23 2004, 04:45 PM
I agree with UDT, B2o is too damn heavy. GSR or B18A/B/lsvtec.

my .02

matt

b20 is only marginally heavier then the b18s, if at all maybe only by a few pounds. its the same size except for the bore.

I've heard from various sources that say the b20b\z are the lightest of all b- series engines. so the would be good for road racing especially considering the b20 has more torque than the gsr. add vtec and that closes up a little of the hp gap.

I have heard the same, I was wondering if anyone was roadracing this set-up... lots of drag racers I see use it... but it will need to run fror at least 30 minute sprint races

GSRCRXsi has it right b20 is only marginally heavier then the b18s, if at all maybe only by a few pounds. its the same size except for the bore

guys think about this one...whats in a b20 to make it soo much heavier than a b18, just because a motor has a more displacement or larger bore does not equal more weight, now a b16 is lighter but expected with differences in such places as deck height...I was able to notice the difference between having a b16 and b20 under the hood...

and if your stuck on this head swap thing do the LS/Vtec personaly i think thereas alot more info on the LS/Vtec and i think its a more strait forward deal compared to the B20.

not flamming you here or anything jeff, but you'll be able to find pleany of info on b20 swaps and an b20 swap isn't any less striaghtforward except in the area of mounts (just avoid ones that push the motor far forward) and if you want it to be safe at higher rpms and are running stock pistons have them notched because the valve clearence is low esspeically if, like me, your going to run a type R head, and or you plan to use aggrssive cams or play with cam gears...like a ls you still have to have the head tapped, there not extra work in that...

Back