crx si whining noise?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daveholiday

Do work
:confused::confused::confused:
so the other day I was driving, and I pulled up to this light, and I had my windows down because its summer and I don't have ac because who needs ac right?

anyway, I hear this noise, and its a whining noise, and it gets louder as I give it gas, so I assume its something that has to do with my timing.

I stopped by my favorite oil filter store (Autozone) and asked for some assistance. The guy said it sounded like the noise that a power steering pump makes when it starts to go, but then he realised that I don't have power steering. He said it could be my water pump. Has anyone ever had this problem? I would just buy a new one and replace it anyway, seeing as how its probably the original water pump, but I'm in the process of doing a mini-me, so I'd hate to buy a new water pump, and then buy another water pump. I have a y8 head with no water pump, but I could also use a z6 head, and probably get the water pump. I don't know, all I know is that its bothering me, and making me a little bit nervous?

help
and thank you in advance

Simple way to check if it's your water pump or your alternator, take the belt off the alternator and start the car for a min or 2, don't run it too long or you'rr kill your battery, but it will tell you if it's the water pump or the alternator.

wow, thanks, I'll try that first thing in the morning. I bought a water pump today, ($32) and if it happens to not be my waterpump, then I'll just return it.

if it does turn out to be the waterpump I wouldn;t drive the car, if the pump siezes it MAY either jump timing or snap the timing belt altogether, which is bad news, then you won;t have anything until the other engine is done.

so just in case I need to replace the water pump, I'm taking the timing belt cover off.

HOW THE SKDFJHALSKJ DO YOU GET IT OFF??!

the only was I see is to take the valve cover off, and I don't wanna do that. Any better ideas?

you have to remove the valve cover in order to get the upper timing cover off,
you will also have to remove the crankshaft pulley in order to remove the lower timing cover to get access to the water pump, you also have to remove the engine mount in order to replace the timing belt.

turned out, it was indeed my alternator. Thank you for the tip on finding that out.

now, the last alternator I changed was on a durango, and it was easy, being right up in front. As far as this goes, whats the best way to take it out?

disconnect the battery so you don't accidently ground out your batery when you take the alternator wires off.
remember the bolt on the top that you loosened to remove the belt, take that right out, then go through the drivers side wheel well and remove the nut at the bottom of the alternator, then slide the bolt out (towrds the passenger side) that the nut was on and now you should be able to remove the alternator so that you can remove the 1 large wire and the round 4 wire alternator plug (it'usually green)

well, unfortunately I needed my car to be done super quick so I just went with what worked best for me. I ended up having to take the master cylinder off its bolts and pull it up, to get the alternator out. that stupid thing was wedged in its little socket real good too, took me about 20 min to pound it out with a pipe on the hinge and a hammer, but it came out, got the new one in and car runs great. No whining noises, and it idles much more constant now, before it would kinda rise and drop, but thats all better now. I think that its the same alternator from 1990, so it was time for a new one anyway. Thanks for the help :D

LoL, it would have been better to drop the alternator out the bottom of the car, but I guess you got it done either way.
Later

yeah I actually tried getting it out that way, but I couldn't fit it to save my life for God knows whatever reason, maybe I'm just a retard, I don't know.

no, a retard would have tried to take it through the firewall or something.
Just glad I could help, Have a good one.
//unsubscribe//

Back