CRX steering rack Problems.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrokenRex

can anyone tell me, or show me a picture of, how the steering rack is connected to the steering shaft that comes down through the firewall. there is no access to the top of the rack, and it doesn't simply pull down off of the shaft. the CRX is a 89 Si.

universal joint. To take the rack off, you just need to unscrew the bolt that holds the u-joint to the steering rack shaft from inside the cabin/under the dash. It's covered by the plastic boot. IIRC, it's a 12mm bolt, and there's two of them on the u-joint; one that clamps it against the column shaft and one to the steering rack/pinion shaft. Just take out the bottom one.

k, new problem... removing the old inner tie rods? I got the new ones, and they have some sort of washer with them, the old ones don't have any flats to get a wrench on that i can see. any advice?

To remove the manual rack an pinion steering gear...

1. Raise the vehicle and support it safely.
  2. Remove the cover panel and steering joint cover. Unbolt and separate the steering shaft at the coupling.
  3. Remove the front wheels.
  4. Remove the cotter pins and unscrew the castle nuts on the tie rod ends. Using a ball joint tool disconnect the tie rod ends. Lift the tie rod ends out of the steering knuckles.
  5. If equipped with manual transaxle, disconnect the shift lever torque rod from the clutch housing. Slide the pin retainer out of the way, drive out the spring pin and disconnect the shift rod.
  6. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, remove the shift cable guide from the floor and pull the shift cable down by hand.
  7. Remove the two nuts connecting the exhaust header pipe to the exhaust pipe and move the exhaust pipe out of the way.
  8. Push the rack all the way to the right and remove the brackets or mounting bolts. Slide the tie rod ends all the way to the right.
  9. Drop the rack far enough to permit the end of the pinion shaft to come out of the hole in the frame channel, then rotate it forward until the shaft is pointing rearward.
  10. Slide the rack to the right until the left tie rod clears the exhaust pipe, then drop it down and out of the vehicle to the left.

To install:
  1. Position the rack into the vehicle and tighten the mounting bolts to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
  2. Connect the exhaust pipe using a new gasket.
  3. Reconnect the shift linkage and adjust as required.
  4. Install the tie rod ends into the steering knuckle. Tighten the nuts to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm), then tighten as required to install a new cotter pin.
  5. Connect the steering shaft coupling and tighten the bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
This is right out of ChiltonsLibrary.

yeah yeah, i got all that sorted out. the problem i'm having how is removing the inner tie rod from the steering rack it's self. physically the rack is out of the car. i just cant seem to find a way to turn the inner tie rod to remove it.

big hammers....

na normally they have a spot you can put a wrench on

i hope its there and i hope you get it fixed

good luck! :)

Back