crx swap overheating problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

inspecta83

i put a b18b into my '91 crx and it keeps over heating and i have no idea why. i did everything i could thing of....bypassed the heating core, checked the radiator, new water pump, new thermo and i even took out the thermo and after all this it still overheats. someone told me that maybe the voltage on the crx sending unit is different to the voltage on the integ sending unit...anyone know if this is true?? also, is the sending unit the one right next to the thermo? i had to re-wire this to lengthen it so it could reach but im sure its wired up to the correct sensor b/c i looked at my friends crx and it has the same colors there. all suggestions would be very helpful....thanks

well, i think the gauge might be messed up b/c when i turn the key to accessory mode, the gauge goes up half way even thou i know the car is cold b/c its been sitting for a few days...BUT i see smoke coming up from the radiator. just to be safe i ordered a new gague cluster and it should be here in a few days, so hopefully i can get an accurate reading with the new cluster and hopefully it will tell me what i want to hear. thanks for all the help and i'll keep you posted.

Also I've found that with Honda's if you don't burp the coolant system really well they overheat from an air bubble in the system. Make sure you crack the coolant bleeder screw when you're filling the coolant or you'll trap an air bubble in the system.

i think the screw that you're talking about is the one right next to where the upper radiator hose connects to the motor....what i did was left that screw off while i filled up the system w/ coolant, so i dont think air is in the system....what i am going to do next is totally drain the car of all coolant and pour some back in again with that bleeder screw off....although my gauge cluster is messed up, i am still sure that the car is overheating b/c the coolant is bubbling up and running off into the plastic coolant bottle that is connected to the radiator with that small rubber hose.

well, i know that the crx radiator works with this swap b/c my friend did the same swap and doesnt overheat. as for the thermostat....i took it out b/c when its in it doesnt open up causing no coolant to flow thru the lower radiator hose (the thermo was brand new)....the fan used to come on, but i havent noticed it coming on lately, but the car still overheated when the fan used to come on. i think the problem with that might be with the switch located right next to the thermo...i am goin to try to re-wire it again and see what happens...thanks alot

you must be bumming with this overheating problem. be sure and let us know when you figure it out.

yea i checked the cap.....just curious, is it possible that my problem might be solved if i put the thermo back in and get it to open up somehow? b/c i'm remembering that my fan used to turn on when the thermo was in but ever since i took it out, it does not turn on. (does the thermo have anything to do with the fan turning on/off?)

are you sure that your head gasket is not blown??? do you have have bubbles being blown in your reservoir?? also your gauge cluster was probably ok. in case you didn't know the sensor that controls your gauge on your gauge cluster is located below your distributor. by the way there is also a coolant gauge on the back side of the block next to your oil pressure sensor. it is possible that could be fouling too. just trying to help

sorry, also biglee has a good point, if you are getting excess fluid in your reservoir your cap may be your problem. how did you check it????alot of times the cap looks fine but it may not be holding the required 15psi to keep the system cool.....lates

Originally posted by hondafreek7@Jul 13 2003, 03:10 PM
are you sure that your head gasket is not blown??? do you have have bubbles being blown in your reservoir?? also your gauge cluster was probably ok. in case you didn't know the sensor that controls your gauge on your gauge cluster is located below your distributor. by the way there is also a coolant gauge on the back side of the block next to your oil pressure sensor. it is possible that could be fouling too. just trying to help

im sure that the head gasket is not blown b/c its brand new...what i am not 100% sure is if it was installed by my shop correctly lined up. also, i always thought that bubbles being blown into the resivoir was a tell tale sign off overheating....the climate sensor that you're talking about, is that the one right next to the thermo housing? as far as the "coolant gauge" do you mean "coolant sensor"? anyway, i never knew there was one...what does it do? thanks alot...really appreciate any and all help.

Back